Chapter 2

Chapter 2.docx

3 Pages
Unlock Document

McGill University
Economics (Arts)
ECON 208
Mayssun El- Attar Vilalta

Chapter 2 – Economic Theory, Data, and Graphs Sept.13.12 Positive and normative advice: - Normative statements - depend on value judgments and opinions - use of facts - subjective - i.e. unemployment is a more important social problem than inflation - Positive statements - do not involve value judgments - about what is, was, or will be - objective - can be tested - i.e. the majority of the population would prefer a policy that reduced unemployment to one that reduced inflation - Disagreement among economists: - failure to define their terms/points of reference clearly - stems from economists’ failure to acknowledge the full state of their own ignorance - public disagreement based on the positive/normative distinction - economists must differentiate normative advice from positive facts - laws requiring equal pay for work of equal value will make women better off - “better off” wages? Unemployment? Equality? Theories: - Constructed to explain things - i.e. what determines quantity/price of eggs bought and sold this month  use theory of demand and supply - theory consists of definitions about variables (endogenous, exogenous), assumptions (motives, causation, applicability), and a set of predictions/hypotheses market goods consumers producers market factors Models: - Used as a synonym for a theory - Applied to a specific quantitative formulation of a theory - As an illustrative abstraction which helps to organize our thoughts about a particular issue, not designed to generate testable hypotheses Testing theories: - Tested by confronting its predictions with evidence - Scientific approach: - empirical observation leads to construction of theories - theories generate specific predictions - the predictions are tested by more detailed empirical observation - Rejection vs. confirmat
More Less

Related notes for ECON 208

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.