ENGL 226 (20)

Emily Dickinson Readings.docx

3 Pages
Unlock Document

McGill University
English (Arts)
ENGL 226
Kait Pinder

Emily Dickinson Readings "I'M 'WIFE'--I'VE FINISHED THAT" Identify • I'm "Wife"--I've finished that • This being comfort, then/ That other kind was pain;/ But why compare?/ I'm wife! stop there! Meaning • marriage is a safe "state", convenient and expected • thought she would become a real Woman through marriage, or would become head of household (Czar) • "safer" for a woman to be married • speaker tries to convince herself • "soft Eclipse" means marriage will eclipse her self, though she might not see it coming • last stanza is the speaker pushing aside doubts • single state and marriage cannot compare "THE SOUL SELECTS HER OWN SOCIETY" Identify • The soul selects her own society • I've known her from an ample nation/ Choose one;/ Then close the valves of her attention/ Like stone. Meaning • people choose a select few confidants and exclude all others • ritualistic/ceremonial images • does not tolerate entry into the Soul's Society once the door is shut • severe exclusivity • last stanza places emphasis on the chosen one "I DIED FOR BEAUTY--BUT WAS SCARCE" Identify • I died for beauty--but was scarce • And so, as kinsmen met a night,/ We talked between the rooms,/ Until the moss had reached our lips,/ And covered up our names. Meaning • truth and beauty are the same; brethren • martyrdom and optimistic afterlife • terror at the thought of death itself • eventual loss of identity as the moss covers her lips and name • death erases every part of human life; nothing remains once we die ◦ yet this is a gradual loss process "BECAUSE I COULD NOT STOP FOR DEATH--" Identify • Because I could not stop for death • We slowly drove, he knew no haste,/ And had put away/ My labor, and my leisure too,/ For his civility. Meaning • journey with Death from life to afterlife • Death stops for her, when
More Less

Related notes for ENGL 226

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.