Wallace Stevens Readings
THE SNOW MAN BY WALLACE STEVENS
• "One must have a mind of winter/ To regard the frost and the boughs/ Of the
pine-trees crusted with snow"
• "For the listener, who listens in the snow,/ And, nothing himself, beholds/
Nothing that is not there and the nothing that it."
• metaphor for the pure mind
◦ without emotional burden
• snowman listens, knowing the "Nothing that is not there and the nothing that it"
• see reality as nothing, emptying ourselves of emotion
• "behold" is a biblical word, and is used twice
◦ think of God's creations and miracles
OF MODERN POETRY BY WALL