Linguistics
Course
LING 200
Professor
Maire Noonan
Semester
Fall

Description
LING 200 Introduction to the Study of Language Chapter 1 What is Language? “Language” is not a very well defined concept.  We will need precise and new terminology.  Grammar? o Is that well-defined?? o A good way to start thinking about language is to o Differentiate o Knowledge of language from o Use of language Noam Chomsky, the father of modern linguistics termed these:  Linguistic competence versus  Linguistic performance i.e. Sara and Bob expect to like them. Sara and Bob expect to like them. Them ≠ Sara and Bob? Add, “Who do”: Now: them = Sara and Bob We differentiate knowledge of language from use of language. Noam Chomsky:  Linguistic knowledge: COMPETENCE Vs.  Use of language: PERFORMANCE Language is essentially an individual phenomenon: a system of knowledge that is internalized in the mind/brain of each individual  It has various social dimensions: o In order to mature in infants, it relies on social interaction (in great part because social interaction provides input) o It is used for social interactions on various levels It interfaces with society in various ways (language policies/laws, education, etc.) o It has social consequences Tacit Knowledge: Linguistic competence, grammar in our brains' Speakers are not aware or is subconsciously aware ofthe rules/ principles ofa language  Our judgment of how “them” can be interpreted in the two previous sentences is based on a rule  We all share this rule, but we are not aware of what that rule says precisely.  We were not taught that rule  We know this rule intuitively; it is not part of our explicit (conscious) knowledge  Linguists are interested in uncovering and explaining these types of rules/processes  Children learn the language that is spoken (or signed) in the environment they grow up in  Children acquire language at roughly the same time across languages  Language acquisition occurs automatically – innate language faculty OR universal grammar i.e. children do not need to be taught Grammar: the model that we, as linguists, construct to model linguistic knowledge (i.e.I- language) Phonology: knowledge about sound patterns Morphology: knowledge about word structure Syntax: knowledge about sentence patterns Semantics: knowledge about word and sentence meaning All languages are based on a GRAMMAR.  A grammar is a system of rules  A speaker knows these rules subconsciously  A grammar in this sense is a mental entity Two notions of “grammar” 1. Prescriptive Grammar: set of rules that prescribe how people should speak and write “proper English etc” o A type of grammar that tell people what or how they should use language (considered a stigma on social aspects and conventions) 2. Descriptive Grammar: set rules that describe how people actually do speak o To describe how people are using language [how they talk and how they communicate, etc. etc.) Linguistics are interested in the latter: Descriptive grammar  Goal of modern linguistics: a description, and explanation, of human linguistic knowledge i.e. (1) If the light is red, do not cross the street A prescriptive rule: it prescribes something  People need to consciously know/ must be told the rule to obey it  Explicit knowledge  People may choose not to obey it i.e. (2) If retinal molecules are exposed to light, they change configuration and as a result a nerve impulse is generated. A descriptive ‘rule’: it describes something that occurs  A process we can observe, describe and explain  Applies indiscriminately  Humans are not aware of this process; it happens automatically  It’s generally out of the range of control of humans to “disobey” this rule/process Examples of prescriptive grammar rules 1. Don't use double negatives, and don't use ain't. i.e. Say: I am not going anywhere Not: I ain’t goin nowhere Some plausible prescriptive rules for French 1. Use participle agreement in relative clauses. i.e. Say: Les chaises que j’ai peintes. The chairs that I’ve painted-PL.FEM Not: Les chaises que j’ai peint.* 2. Don't use “tu” in questions unless you refer to the 2 person singular (you). Use ‘est-ce que’ instead. i.e. Say: Est-ce que c’est vrai ? Not: C’est-tu vrai ? ‘Is that true?’ Prescriptive grammar rules 1. Speakers must be told/taught these rules. 2. Speakers may choose to disobey them - and do ! 3. Obeying the rules can be inappropriate in certain social contexts: a. Looking at an old photograph and exclaiming: i.e. Gee! Is that really I ?! The person you're looking for is I. This is an outrage up with which I shall not put (Winston Churchill) Standard and non-standard language  The lesser the social prestige of a speech community in a society, the lesser valued will likely be their speech variety  The language of people with most power and privilege speak is generally proclaimed to be the ‘correct way’ From a linguistic point of view  No intrinsic linguistic reason why one way of speaking is superior to another.  Any language or language variety is based on a mental grammar; a system of linguistic knowledge ACCORDING TO PRESCRIPTIVISTS Rules of two varieties of French Descriptive grammar= a model of the I-language. The scientific approach  A scientific hypothesis seeks to describe & explain a phenomenon of nature.  A scientific hypothesis must make predications.  This means: for a hypothesis to be scientific, it must be falsifiable.  The scientific method: make observation > generalize > form hypothesis > test hypothesis (gather more data) > revise hypothesis The innateness Hypothesis: every human being acquires a language. Humans are born with the ability to acquire a language.  Hypothesis (Noam Chomsky): Humans possess an innate language faculty.  This faculty is commonly termed Universal Grammar, short UG How does I-language arise in the mind? Every individual’s mental grammar that are shared in a community (similar understanding—not exactly the same as it is affected by individual experiences and/ or knowledge and their own process of language acquisition] I-language: the set of rules are internalized by speakers of a language, that is, every human being:  I-language = linguistic competence = mental grammar: o Generate: comprehend and produce  Permits speakers to generate infinitely many novel utterances from a finite number of elements – an aspect often referred to as the creative aspect of language Mentalism and Biolinguis
More Less

Related notes for LING 200

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit