William Reno.docx

2 Pages

Department
Political Science
Course Code
POLI 324
Professor
Khalid Medani

This preview shows 80% of the first page. Sign up to view the full 2 pages of the document.

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
War, Markets and the Re-Configuration of West African States—William Reno -Article is essentially about how and why and increasing amount of African rulers are opting for alternatives to bureaucratic, territorially bounded institutional arrangements. The author uses the term political unit to describe these ambiguous states and non-state organizations. None of them asserts exclusive control over internal groups, conforms to clear territorial limits or fulfills international obligations. Nor do they fulfill the requirements of cold war third world standards of sovereignty. -Rulers have found the cold war patron client networks based on foreign aid unsustainable, and have been challenged by ‘strongmen’ cut off from traditional forms of patronage. -Essentially these ‘non-state organizations’ are a response from leaders attempting to manage after the sudden end to the cold war. Rapid internal and external change. It is not always in a rulers interests to maintain strong bureaucracies and state agencies. Often these are destroyed simply to prevent them from being used by rivals. -also the emergence of a trans-continental African elite and their influence on both internal and external forces further weakens a system which assumes strict territorially defined units. -During the cold war, form of Marxist political organization were often used to manage ethnic differences. State bureaucracies were put to work distributing patronage. However this paradigm has shifted, Bretton wood lending institutions with strict conditionality attached to loans has meant the cutting of state bureaucracies and the reduction of patronage. This has meant the emergence of strongmen seeking access to resources outside of traditional channels. -Often rulers who hold onto power in these political units must contract out the use of force by hiring mercenaries form other countries, leading to the proliferation of these mercenary organizations. -Often rulers may use insistence on privatization as a means to favour certain factions and groups by allowing them access to the new resources available or to the loaned funds from credit institutions. H
More Less
Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

Only 80% of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit