PSYC 342 Chapter Notes - Chapter 2: Zona Pellucida, Zona Glomerulosa, Zona Reticularis

30 views8 pages

Document Summary

Information is communicated by release of chemicals and detection by receptors. Intracrine chemical mediation of intracellular events (hormones and pheromones) Autocrine cells - secrete products that may affect processes of cells which produce them (i. e. steroid producing cells that have receptors for those steroids) Paracrine agents chemicals which are released by one cell and impact neighboring cells (i. e. neurons) Ectocrine substances released outside individual and impact other animals (i. e. pheromones) Endocrine cells produce chemicals that travel via the bloodstream to distant cells. Endocrinology study of endocrine glands and associated hormones. Neurohormone special hormone released by neuron into blood. Neuroendocrinology study of transduction of neural to hormonal signal and other relationships between nervous and endocrine system. Exocrine glands have ducts/tubes into which products are release (i. e. salivary and sweat glands: some glands have endo- and exocrine functions pancreas. Removal of hormones is by uptake and degradation (metabolism) by kidney and liver. There are 4 classes of hormones: peptides/proteins, steroids, monoamines, lipi-based.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers