The Pre-Colonial Economy 1492-1763
• period of European conflict
• period of European/aboriginal conflict
• Mercantilist philosophy
• Canada vs US experience
The Europeans Meet the Aboriginal Economy
Why did the Europeans come to Canada?
• Search for profitable alternative Asia trading route
Europe was devastated by plagues and other diseases which led to a decline in population. Once, it
recovered, population grew drastically. There was a demand for goods and merchants as well as others
were searching for ways to get to Asia, in the cheapest way possible to acquire or trade for these goods.
Travel by land took too long, was expensive and very unsafe. There were high tariffs and chances of
The desire to a safer, cheaper route to Asia set the desire to explore new methods of arriving to India
• European commercial revolution
• Muslim control of Central Asia Muslims controlled Asia and aside from economic interests between
the two parties, there was very little religious tolerance of one another.
• Italian (Venetian) traders The Venetian traders dominated all the routes from Asia to Europe. There
was a growing desire for merchants to find a cheaper route to Asia. (Italians from Pisa and Genoa)
•Trade Routes Pre-1400Easing of transportation constraints –robbery, cost and high tariffs
• limitation of pre15th century marine technology – were forced to travel by land which was expensive
• shift to three sails
• improved sa