This preview shows half of the first page. to view the full 2 pages of the document.
1. WILLIAM GIBSON, 1982
THE WORLD OF THE STORY
2. …is shared with Gibson’s cyberpunk novels, Neuromancer, Count Zero and
Mona Lisa Overdrive. The run on Chrome has become the stuff of legend.
3. One of the trilogy’s main characters, Molly, remarks that that she knew Quine –
“A real asshole.” As we see.
ECONOMICS AND HOW PEOPLE LIVE
4. Information crime is rampant in this world where vast corporations - like the
entertainment industry – control more money than is imaginable by most people.
It’s difficult for anyone to escape the poverty trap by normal employment.
5. Bobby Quine and Automatic Jack are expert professional hackers, and make their
living this way, like many others.
6. Thieves, fences, and technicians of all kinds work in a broad-based underworld
of information crime which didn’t exist at the time of writing, but does now.
1. Rikki, also like many others, wants to make it big in the entertainment industry.
She plans to have her eyes replaced by expensive cameras so that she can record
her character’s experience for the main entertainment medium, simstim. Plugged-
in participants experience sensually what the actor does: ‘simulated-stimulation.’
2. She rents her body, disconnected from her consciousness, to strangers at The
House of Blue Lights, as a way of making enough money for the highest quality
AUTOMATIC JACK’S PERSPECTIVE:
7. Jack was a specialist hacker on an early espionage mission over the Ukraine with
almost no survivors (see ‘Omaha Thunder’ in Neuromancer).
8. His deep humanity is equally deeply embedded in technology – his myoelectric
arm, his work, Rikki’s new eyes, her ambition, and her freedom to pursue it.
Gibson’s SF is characterized by people who are good, generous and moral for no
other reason than their nature.
VOCABULARY: TECHNICAL, BRAND NAMES, PLACE-NAME
1. PHOSPHENES, MATRIX, ICE (INTRUSION COUNTERMEASURES
ELECTRONICS), MYOELECTRIC, ARM, XENON PROJECTOR, MIMETIC
SUBPROGRAMS, WALDO, GLITCH SYSTEMS (CYBERNETIC VIRUS
ANALOGS), NIGHTWING PARAFOIL, CARBON-FIBRE, ANODIZED,
PERFORATED DURALUMIN, CYRILLIC ALPHANUMERICS, TRIPLE-
BLIND RENTAL SYSTEM IN MOMBASA, ALGERIAN COMSAT,
SYNTHETIC PITUITARY HORMONES, NEURAL-FEEDBACK WEAPON,
SIMSTIM, ONO-SENDAI, ZEISS IKON, CHIBA CITY, MACAO,
You're Reading a Preview
Unlock to view full version