Started on: 10/22/2013 2:03:00 PM
Last saved on: 11/10/2013 6:27:00 PM
T UTORIAL N OTES FOR : 2Q03
McMaster University, Fall 2013
T UESDAY , O CTOBER 22, 2013
Traditionalism- (Ahl-Hadith) Rationalism (Mutazila)
- Transmitted Sciences - Rational Sciences
- E.G HADITH - Everything else
- “Structural” point of view - From outside of a religious tradition;
- Reflects the reading of the text; - Reason comes into play
- How to understand those things which are
transmitted in the Hadith; etc.
- Theology & Jurisprudence ; share
something in common (Both dealt with
things from a viewpoint of reason) earliest
form of Fiqh and Jurisprudence were based
on rational opinionated based premise;
loosely based on Hadith.
- GOD AND LOGIC IN ISLAM –
HISTORY OF REASON IN ISLAMIC
Theology deals with the nature of God, etc. “What does it mean: ……”
- E.G What does it mean when God acts, if God is not a „tangible‟ or a „human‟; how can he act?
- Greek philosophy, which dealt with the nature of the Universe, a lot of this material, was
translated into Arabic. (Mahmoud)
o Translation movement that took place in the Abbasid caliphate; set up a place of Wisdom
o Existence and the nature of existence and God and creation and Free will would be
formed in new ways as a result of Muslims being exposed to Greek philosophy.
o Cherishing the writing and philosophy that took place;
- Ayoub – Fiqh and Theology
o Jurisprudence and the rational instigation of God‟s existence
o Jurisprudence and theology developed in a similar current and both depended upon reason
to derive their sources;
- Aristotelian philosophy
- How much exposure to non-literal sources too much? How much is heresy?
AHL HADITH (Traidionalism)
Mutazila (Rational & Shia)
How do we develop a system of thought and remain true and sincere to the Prophet?
In the early period, people like Abu Hanifah (Iraq); the people that were developing the L