Commerce
Course
COMM 104
Professor
Karen Humphreys Blake
Semester
Winter

Description
Chapter 10­ Strategy and Ethical Decision Making • Michael Porter explains that the essence of strategy is to be found in the choices  and trade­offs a firm makes in its quest for a unique competitive position  • Managers strive to differentiate their firms, this can be done through ethics  • Economic rents: refers to the payment received for a factor of production over and  above what is minimally required to keep that factor in its current use o Example: I am prepared to do a certain job for no less than my salary of  $20 an hour, but I convince my boss to give me a $5 raise, my rent seeking  ha resulted in an extra $5 per hour • A key question for strategy is the extent to which rent seeking should be guided  by ethical values o Within this framework competitive advantage is focus on the relative  rather than the absolutes gained from strategic management • Ethics will be viewed as one of the many variables that need to be assessed in the  context of choices, trade offs, and the pursuit of competitive success • Enterprise Strategy Theory: developed by H. I. Ansoff, includes a set of sub  strategies open to explicitly ethical thinking.  o Two examples of sub strategies include a societal strategy and a  legitimacy strategy  o The theory states that a firm must be able to explain their role in society in  a detailed way that goes beyond simple rent seeking Ethics and Strategy: Four Models of the Strategic Firm • Classic Economic Model o Strategic choice is limited to activities that serve the core corporate  objectives of improving the firm’s bottom line o Leaves managers with externalities, which are the social costs that the  firm, through its value­creating activities, creates but does not necessarily  pay for  Example: pollution
More Less

Related notes for COMM 104

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit