Commerce
Course
COMM 161
Professor
Matthew S Thompson
Semester
Fall

Description
COMMERCE 161 INTRODUCTION TO MATHEMATICAL ANALYSIS FOR M ANAGEMENT F ALL2012 SECTIONS 1, 2, 3AND 4 Instructor: Matt Thompson [email protected] Office: Goodes Hall 282 613 533 3413 Class Information: Section 1 Monday 11:30 – 13:00 Thursday 13:00 – 14:30 Goodes Hall 153 Section 2 Monday 13:00 – 14:30 Wednesday 11:30 – 13:00 Goodes Hall 153 Section 3 Tuesday 13:00 – 14:30 Thursday 11:30 – 13:00 Goodes Hall 151 Section 4 Tuesday 11:30 – 13:00 Friday 13:00 – 14:30 Goodes Hall 151 Office Hours: Tues 10:30 – 11:20 Thursday 10:30 – 11:20 Course Website: through Commerce portal (http://commerce.queensu.ca) INTRODUCTION : This course is designed to enhance your ability to apply advanced mathematical techniques including: linear algebra, differential and integral calculus, optimization, and computer modelling to tackle a wide range of managerial problems. It is assumed that students have taken Ontario Grade 12 Calculus or its equivalent. TEXTBOOK : Waner and Costenoble, Finite Mathematics and Applied Calculus, 5th Edition, 2011 ISBN-13:978-1439049259, Brooks and Cole Publishing. LECTURE NOTES: Class lecture notes will be posted on the course website. It is your responsibility to check the website regularly and take printouts before the class. PERFORMANCE EVALUATION Assignments (individual+group) (5 equally weighted assignments)30% (15%+15%) Mid-term Exam (Wed. Oct. 24) (closed books/notes) 30% Final Exam (closed books/notes) 40% GRADES : The grades will be posted on the course webpage. Please check the course page whenever a new grade is available and immediately inform the instructor if there is a discrepancy – you need to retain all returned work. EXAMINATIONS : There will be one midterm and one final exam to test your understanding of the material covered in the course. Both the midterm and the final exams are compulsory, closed book and closed notes. Students are not allowed to bring any material and information related to the exams. Computers are not allowed. Standard blue sticker calculators are permitted. Please contact the Commerce Office regarding the stickers. Midterm examination will take place 6:30-9:30pm on Wednesday, October 24, 2012. The exact location will be communicated on the course website. Students must achieve a weighted exam average of 50 marks to pass the course! That is, if your mid-term exam grade is M out of 100 marks and your final exam grade is F out of 100 marks, then you need (30*M + 40*F) / 70 ≥ 50 to pass the course ! ASSIGNMENTS :  There will be 5 assignments during the semester.  In each assignment, you will have an Individual Part and a Group Part. PAGE1 of 5  The individual part is to be submitted through the online assignment system - WebAssign. You need to login and perform the necessary tasks at https://webassign.net/login.html. Information about the system will be provided in the first class. The PowerPoint presentation about WebAssign registration and login procedures is posted to the course website. There are no part marks for individual assignments. The following are the details for the group part of the assignment.  The group part of the assignment is to be completed in teams of four to five students from the same section of the course.  If you would like to form your own team, you must email me the names, student IDs and the section of ALL four or five members of your team by September 21 th2012. If not, I will assign you to a team. You are not allowed to change your team during the semester. Each team should submit one report per assignment  You need to submit your hard copy assignments into the drop box in the Commerce Office. The submission deadline is 10:00 am on the specified date and late assignments or assignment submitted to a wrong location will receive the grade of zero. (If drop boxes are not available for the first one or two assignments because of construction, alternative arrangements will be made.)  The assignment must indicate the assignment number, the section, the team number, the names and student IDs of all members. You can use the assignment submission template which is provided in Table 3.  Assignments are expected to be neatly written with each step in the solution process clearly outlined and explained. Any answer without proper explanation will receive a mark of zero even if the answer itself is correct. Word problems are expected to be answered in short answer format.  Students are encouraged to work together within each group to help each other understand the material and complete the assignments. Although each group submits a single copy of each assignment, it is the responsibility of each group member to understand every answer come exam time.  All submissions of assignments must be your group's work and only your group's work and no aspect of your work may be revealed to any other group. Failure to comply with this rule will be deemed academic dishonesty and will generally result in a grade of zero on the assignment for any teams involved and a referral to the Commerce office. SUGGESTED EXERCISES : I will suggest some problems from the text that are not be submitted. Working on these questions is essential in understanding the material and preparing for the exams. The suggested exercises will be available through the WebAssign. R E-GRADING P OLICY: If you have objections regarding our evaluation of a particular group assignment/exam paper, you are required to follow guidelines presented below. 1. Assignments and Midterm Papers: All concerns about the assignment and midterm marks must be brought to the instructor's attention in a written memo. The memo should clearly state all concerns and be submitted along with the original paper within 10 business days of the date on which the papers are handed back. After day 10, the received grade is final. Once you receive your paper, make sure that all the answers you provided are graded and there are no mistakes in adding your partial grades. If there are such mistakes you should bring them to my attention before/after class or during my office hours as soon as possible. Another eligible concern is if we had missed some of your logic/analysis in assigning part marks. Please note that during the re-grading your grade may go up or down. Keep in mind that I cannot negotiate the grading scheme or the partial marking system that I utilize. It is my responsibility to be fair to all students, and negotiating the grading scheme or partial marks for one student will be unfair to the rest of the class. PAGE2 of 5 2. Final Exams: Final exam papers will not be handed back to students. Once the course marks are officially released, if there is a significant discrepancy between your perceived performance in the course and the final mark, you can contact me about the mark breakdown. After that, you can schedule an appointment with me to review the marking of the final exam paper. If, following the appointment, you disagree with your mark, you can request a rereading of you examination paper as described in section 16 of Academic Calendar: http://www.queensu.ca/calendars/business/16__Examinations.html As a result of re
More Less

Related notes for COMM 161

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit