PSYC100 13/14 Week 18.docx

5 Pages

Department
Psychology
Course Code
PSYC 100
Professor
Jon Miller

This preview shows pages 1-2. Sign up to view the full 5 pages of the document.
Week 18: Social Development
Inductive Discipline
- Guiding behaviours, introducing appropriate limits, setting up reasonable consequences
while explaining why
Baumrind’s Styles of Parenting
- Authoritative
oExplain reasons behind rules; unlikely to use physical discipline
oSet firm rules and uphold them, but high degree of freedom within boundaries
oOutcomes
Social competence, self-confidence
Better self-regulation, quick adaptation
- Authoritarian
oDiscipline using threats and punishment
oExpect children to follow rules without explanation
oOutcomes
Unhappy, lack social competence
Conform to expectations but lack self-confidence
Anxiety, increased aggression
- Permissive
oAllow children freedom in regulating their own lives
oPlace few demands
oOutcomes
Impulsive, irresponsible; react more intensely to conflict
High confidence, low performance
- Rejecting-neglectful
oDo not set limits or monitor activities; may be discouraging
oMore engaged in meeting own needs rather than their children’s
oOutcomes
Less competent, low perception of self, anti-social
Lack self-regulation, prone to substance abuse, depression
Parenting and Genes
- Amount of attention and nursing style can change genes affecting:
oHormonal stress responses
oFear responses
oAdaptability to new environments
- High nurturing = calmer
- Inconsistent nurturing = anxiety
Attachment
- Social and emotional bond between infant and caregiver that spans time and space
- Stages
oPre-attachment
Birth to 6 weeks
Infant remains close to caregiver; reliant on them for food, protection,
comfort
Is not distressed when left in care of someone who is not the primary
caregiver

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Week 18: Social Development Inductive Discipline - Guiding behaviours, introducing appropriate limits, setting up reasonable consequences while explaining why Baumrind’s Styles of Parenting - Authoritative o Explain reasons behind rules; unlikely to use physical discipline o Set firm rules and uphold them, but high degree of freedom within boundaries o Outcomes  Social competence, self-confidence  Better self-regulation, quick adaptation - Authoritarian o Discipline using threats and punishment o Expect children to follow rules without explanation o Outcomes  Unhappy, lack social competence  Conform to expectations but lack self-confidence  Anxiety, increased aggression - Permissive o Allow children freedom in regulating their own lives o Place few demands o Outcomes  Impulsive, irresponsible; react more intensely to conflict  High confidence, low performance - Rejecting-neglectful o Do not set limits or monitor activities; may be discouraging o More engaged in meeting own needs rather than their children’s o Outcomes  Less competent, low perception of self, anti-social  Lack self-regulation, prone to substance abuse, depression Parenting and Genes - Amount of attention and nursing style can change genes affecting: o Hormonal stress responses o Fear responses o Adaptability to new environments - High nurturing = calmer - Inconsistent nurturing = anxiety Attachment - Social and emotional bond between infant and caregiver that spans time and space - Stages o Pre-attachment  Birth to 6 weeks  Infant remains close to caregiver; reliant on them for food, protection, comfort  Is not distressed when left in care of someone who is not the primary caregiver o Attachment-in-the-making  6 weeks to 8 months  Infant shows more preferential treatment to familiar people  May become nervous around unfamiliar people, animals, objects  Form expectations for their parent-child relationship o Clear-cut attachment  6-8 months to 18 months  Actively seek comfort from caregivers, who become a secure base  Display separation anxiety o Reciprocal Relationship Phase  18-24 months  Become more comfortable spending time away from caregivers  Relationship relies on all parties to take an active role in maintaining it - Types o Secure attachment  React positively to strangers when caregiver present, unhappy when caregiver leaves; unlikely to be comforted by stranger  Explores freely while using caregiv
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1-2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit