Chapter 5

2 Pages

Department
Accounting
Course Code
ACC 410
Professor
Keith Whelan

This preview shows half of the first page. Sign up to view the full 2 pages of the document.
Chapter 5 Job Costing
Product costs costs involved in either making or purchasing a product, and they are called
manufacturing or inventoriable, costs
Period costs operating costs that are not part of making or purchasing a product
Managers prepare
-Schedule of cost of goods sold (as part of income statement)
-Schedule of cost of goods manufactured
-what goes into making a product consists of 3 main components:
direct materials that become part of a product (cost object)
direct labour that includes the wages paid to the operator or assembly workers
manufacturing overhead
prime cost direct materials and direct labour combined
conversion cost direct labour and manufacturing overhead combined
Cost of goods sold = Beginning Merchandise Inventory + Purchases Ending Merchandise
Inventory
Product Cost Flows
- raw materials used directly moved into work-in-process inventory account
- raw materials used indirectly moved into manufacturing overhead control
account (exp acc)
-cost of operation or assembly-line workers directly into work-in-process inventory
account
-indirect labour costs accumulated in manufacturing overhead control account
-at the end of a period, fully completed products are transferred from work-in-process
inventory account to the finished goods account
-when products are sold, total costs are transferred from finished goods account to
cost of goods sold account
Process Costing allocates both direct and overhead costs to continuous-flow processing
lines
approach generally used for mass-produced products
direct and indirect costs are traced and allocated to production departments and
then allocated to units
industries that use process costing include food and beverage manufacturers,
petroleum refiners, and plastic and metal manufacturers
Job Costing process of assigning costs to custom products or services
job specific product/service requirements order placed by customer
manufacturers that use job costing include aircraft builders, custom motorcycle
and automobile manufacturers, and custom jewellers, among others; also used in
service industry organizations like hospitals, accounting firms, and repair shops
www.notesolution.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Chapter 5 Job Costing Product costs costs involved in either making or purchasing a product, and they are called manufacturing or inventoriable, costs Period costs operating costs that are not part of making or purchasing a product Managers prepare - Schedule of cost of goods sold (as part of income statement) - Schedule of cost of goods manufactured - what goesinto making a product consists of 3 main components: direct materials that become part of a product (cost object) direct labour that includes the wages paid to the operator or assembly workers manufacturing overhead prime cost direct materials and direct labour combined conversion cost direct labour and manufacturing overhead combined Cost of goods sold = Beginning Merchandise Inventory + Purchases Ending Merchandise Inventory Product Cost Flows - raw materials used directly moved into work-in-process inventory account - raw materials used indirectly moved into manufacturing overhead control account (exp acc) - cost of operation or assembly-line workers directly into work-in-processinventory account - indirect labour costs accumulated in manufa
More Less
Unlock Document

Only half of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit