CFIN501- Chapter 14- Options.docx

7 Pages

Department
Finance
Course Code
FIN 501
Professor
Edward Blinder

This preview shows pages 1 and half of page 2. Sign up to view the full 7 pages of the document.

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
CFIN501 Chapter 14 OptionsOptions On Common StockOption BasicsDerivative securitysecurity whose values is derived from the value of another securityoOptions are a type of derivative securityCall optionon common stock grants the holder the right but not the obligation to buy the underlying stock at a given strike pricePut option on common stock grants the holder the right but not the obligation to sell the underlying stock at a given strike priceStrike priceprice specified in an option contract that the holder pays to buy shares in the case of call options or receives to sell shares in the case of put options if the option is exercisedoAlso called the exercise priceOptions are contracts and in practice option contracts are standardized to facilitate convenience in trading and price reportingStandardized stock options have a contract size of 100 shares of common stock per option contractOptions on common stock must stipulate at least the following six contract terms1Identity of the underlying stock2Strike pricestriking exercise price3Option contract size4Option expiration dateoption maturity5Option exercise styleAmerican optionoption that can be exercised any time before expirationEuropean optionoption that can be exercised only on the last day before expiration6Delivery or settlement procedureOption exchange is a marketplace where customer buy orders and sell orders are matched up with each otherStock options are traded in financial markets in a manner similar to the way that common stocks are tradedOption Price QuotesCurrent prices for relatively small number of stock options traded at the major options exchanges are reported each day in major journalsOptions prices are stated on a per share basisactual price of an option contract is 100 times the pershare priceoEach option contract represents on option on 100 shares of stockOption chainA list of available option contracts and their prices for a particular security arrayed by strike price and maturityStock option ticker symbolsStock optionidentifies not only the underlying stock but also option type expiration date and the strike price2010options clearing corporation instituted a new expanded approach for option symbolsFormer symbolsoTwo partsthree letter symbol for the underlying and two letter symbol specifying the option typeoSpecifying the option type put or call expiration month strike priceCurrent symbolsoHelps alleviate issuesoTrade offis that they symbol will increase from 5 letters to a combination of about 20 letters and numbersoProvides same information underlying security expiration date option type and strike priceoExpansion form allows investors to specify the actual symbol of the underlying securitybroader range of strike pricesThe Options Clearing CorporationOption traders who transact on option exchanges have an important allyOptions clearing corporation OCCprivate agency that guarantees that the terms of an option contract will be fulfilled if the option is exercisedoIssues and clears all option contracts trading on US exchanges1
More Less
Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

Only pages 1 and half of page 2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit