CMN 443-Chapter 1.docx

5 Pages

Department
Communication
Course Code
CMN 443
Professor
Jeffrey Boase

This preview shows pages 1 and half of page 2. Sign up to view the full 5 pages of the document.

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade. are saying about us

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
CMN 443- Chapter 1: Understanding Intercultural Communication What is intercultural communication? • a.k.a. cross-cultural communication • draws on cultural anthropology, cross-cultural psychology, cultural geography, sociology, linguistics, history, communications, and international business management • focuses specifically on interaction between people from different cultural groups and how differences in culture affect that integration • culture and communication are not only inter-related, but inseparable • differing ways of communicating are often root of misunderstandings between different cultures • Pluristic nation: doesn’t so much tolerate, but rather respects, benefits from, and celebrates diversity ( a variety of cultural, religious, ethnic, and linguistic groups co-exist in these nations) Intercultural Competence • Is an ideal towards which all Canadian should strive • Refers to ability to communicate effectively with people belonging to cultural groups different from our own when culture, not age, gender or social class, is the main variable in the interaction • Cultural fluency: the combo of knowledge, understanding, skill, and attitude that is the basis of the ability to communicate effectively across cultures Canada and Cultural Diversity Ethnic Diversity • Canadians reported more than 200 different ethnic origins in 2001, thus increasing the need for cultural competence • As a result of this there are multiple legal frameworks in place to protect ones ethnicity: First Nations rights, and the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms are two important ones • In pluristic societies people may choose to self-identify with a particular ethnic group for a sense of belonging and identity (Italian, Greek etc)OR may identify with the larger collectivity (Canadian)—some may identify as both ( Italian- Canadian) Canada’s Religious Diversity • Many Canadians participate actively in religious groups and feel strong sense of belonging to a community of faith • Some cultural groups choose to have their faith and culture interrelated like Sikhs • Though many Canadians do not actively or regularly practice an organized faith, they do identify with one • Secular: increasingly free from traditional religious beliefs • Many Canadians are becoming secular—though “born again” evangelism seems to be on the rise First Nations • First to contribute to Canada’s multicultural society but have struggled for recognition, equality, respect since the period of colonial domination by European institutions and policies began • Creation of Nunavut and legal actions to compensate victims of abuse by residential schools is slowly helping first nations peoples earn respect and equality they deserve Immigration • Canada has highest per capita immigration rate in the world • With birthrate so low, immigrants are supplying most of labour in expanding job market in Canada (the accounted for 20% of workforce in 2001) • Toronto and Montreal are homes to majority of immigrants that reside in Canada Demographic Divide: Urban v. Rural • Prior to 1960, many immigrants headed to rural areas to farm • For last 10 years majority now settle in urban centres Demographic Divide: Neighbourhoods • Immigrants often congregate in certain neighborhoods or suburban areas where they feel at home and where they have community support groups that can help with integration into society Canadian Attitudes to Diversity • Most Canadians share accepting attitude towards ethnic diversity • Multiculturalism as proven to make many people proud to be Canadian • Canadians under the age of 30 are more comfortable with diversity then their elders • In comparison with the US—12% of Canadians saw problems with relationships with those of different ethnic groups while in US 30-50% saw it as a problem Intercultural Marriage in Canada • Cultural combos in marriage are a recurring story in Canada with more than 3% of marriages in 2001 were described as mixed with visible minorities • Japanese Canadians are most prominent “mixers” in Canada, followed by Latin Americans, and Black Canadians Fulfillment of Personal and Professional Goals • Though multiculturalism can pose problems on the business front with language barriers, it has been concluded that most people seek the same thing—lives of personal and professional fulfillment for ourselves and our families • Intercultural competence promotes the achievement of that goal in a diverse society • Diversity, when valued and understood, enhances the debate and encourages create problem-solving that strengthens the foundations of the country and its institutions • Managers who recognize common denominators beneath the diversity of their teams and learn how to reconcile conflicting values and ways of communicating are able to foster a positive synergy to bring about common desired goals • Canadian organizations are learning to use diversity to their benefit • Banks and businesses have instituted diversity hiring projects and built teams of people wholes styles of negotiation and management are vastly different • Teams where everyone has the same ideas are unlikely to be innovative and managers who can use their teams diversity in a positive way with achieve better results than those who are insensitive to culture-based styles of communication, problem-solving, and negotiation • Intercultural competence can also contribute to increased profits (i.e. in tourism industry, hotel managers in Whistler who know how to make Japanese guests feel comfortable can help ensure word of mouth will bring in more Japanese tourists) Canada and the World The Global Village • Global Village: term coined by Marshall Mcluhan to describe a world connected by modern mass communication reducing time and distance for the transmission of information to ti
More Less
Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

Only pages 1 and half of page 2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit