Week 5 Chapter 7

7 Pages

Department
Economics
Course Code
ECN 301
Professor
David Lee

This preview shows pages 1-2. Sign up to view the full 7 pages of the document.
Intermediate Macroeconomics 1: Theory
Week 5
Chapter 7
Inflation
• In the 1970s, Canada experienced episodes of relatively mild (1 to 3%), creeping (4 to 7%) and
galloping (7 to 15%) inflation
• Inflation was at times large enough to cause significant economic and political trauma
– avoiding a repeat of the inflation of the 1970s remains a major goal of economic policy
The Flexible-Price Model
• The Classical dichotomy implies that real variables (real GDP, real investment spending, or the real
exchange rate) can be analyzed and calculated without considering nominal variables (price level)
– money is “neutral
• This is a special feature of the full-employment flexible-price model
Money
• is wealth that is held in a readily-spendable form
• is made up of
– coin and currency
– chequing account balances
– other assets that can be turned into cash or demand deposits nearly instantaneously, without risk or cost
The Usefulness of Money
• Without money, market transactions would have to be performed through barter
• In a barter economy, market exchange would require the coincidence of wants
– you would have to have some good or service that someone wants and he or she would have to have
some good or service that you want
• Money also serves as a unit of account
– money is used as a yardstick to measure value or quote prices
• Anything that alters the real value of money in terms of its purchasing power will also alter the real
terms of existing contracts that use the money as a unit of account
The Demand for Money
• Businesses and households have a demand for money
www.notesolution.com
– they want to hold a certain amount of wealth in the form of readily-spendable purchasing power to
carry out transactions
• a higher level of spending means a larger money demand
• There is a cost of holding money
– cash and chequing deposits earn little or no interest
• Opportunity Cost of Holding Money: the lost interest and profits, etc.
The Quantity Theory of Money
• assumes that the only important determinant of the demand for money is the flow of spending
• can be summarized using
– the Cambridge (England) money-demand function
M=1/V *(P*Y)
– the quantity equation
M*V= P*Y
(P * Y) represents the total nominal flow of spending
• M is the quantity of money
• V is a measure of how fast money moves through the economy
– how many times the average unit of money is used to buy a final good or service
Determining the Price Level
• In the flexible-price model of the macroeconomy
– real GDP (Y) is equal to potential GDP (Y*)
– the velocity of money is determined by the sophistication of the banking system
– the money supply is determined by the central bank
P= V/Y *M
• If the price level is lower than the quantity equation predicts
– households and businesses will have more wealth in the form of money than they wish
• they will increase purchases
– sellers will note demand is strong and raise prices
The Money Stock
• The Bank of Canada determines the money stock in Canada
– the determination of the money stock is the basic task of monetary policy
• The Bank of Canada can directly impact the monetary base
• To reduce the monetary base, the Bank of Canada sells short-term government securities
www.notesolution.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Intermediate Macroeconomics 1: Theory Week 5 Chapter 7 Inflation • In the 1970s, Canada experienced episodes of relatively mild (1 to 3%), creeping (4 to 7%) and galloping (7 to 15%) inflation • Inflation was at times large enough to cause significant economic and political trauma – avoiding a repeat of the inflation of the 1970s remains a major goal of economic policy The Flexible-Price Model • The Classical dichotomy implies that real variables (real GDP, real investment spending, or the real exchange rate) can be analyzed and calculated without considering nominal variables (price level) – money is “neutral” • This is a special feature of the full-employment flexible-price model Money • is wealth that is held in a readily-spendable form • is made up of – coin and currency – chequing account balances – other assets that can be turned into cash or demand deposits nearly instantaneously, without risk or cost The Usefulness of Money • Without money, market transactions would have to be performed through barter • In a barter economy, market exchange would require the coincidence of wants – you would have to have some good or service that someone wants and he or she would have to have some good or service that you want • Money also serves as a unit of account – money is used as a yardstick to measure value or quote prices • Anything that alters the real value of money in terms of its purchasing power will also alter the real terms of existing contracts that use the money as a unit of account The Demand for Money • Businesses and households have a demand for money www.notesolution.com – they want to hold a certain amount of wealth in the form of readily-spendable purchasing power to carry out transactions • a higher level of spending means a larger money demand • There is a cost of holding money – cash and chequing deposits earn little or no interest • Opportunity Cost of Holding Money: the lost interest and profits, etc. The Quantity Theory of Money • assumes that the only important determinant of the demand for money is the flow of spending • can be summarized using – the Cambridge (England) money-demand function M=1/V *(P*Y) – the quantity equation M*V= P*Y (P * Y) represents the total nominal flow of spending • M is the quantity of money • V is a measure of how fast money moves through the economy – how many times the average unit of money is used to buy a final good or service Determining the Price Level • In the flexible-price model of the macroeconomy – real GDP (Y) is equal to potential GDP (Y*) – the velocity of money is determined by the sophistication of the banking system – the money supply is determined by the central bank P= V/Y *M • If the price level is lower than the quantity equation predicts – households and businesses will have more wealth in the form of money than they wish • they will increase purchases – sellers will note demand is strong and raise prices The Money Stock • The Bank of Canada determines the money stock in Canada – the determination of the money stock is the basic task of monetary policy • The Bank of Canada can directly impact the monetary base • To reduce the monetary base, the Bank of Canada sells short-term government securities www.notesolution.com • To increase the monetary base, the Bank of Canada buys short-term government securities • These transactions are called open market operations • The Bank of Canada directly controls the monetary base • The other measures of the money stock are determined by the interaction of the monetary base with the banking sector – regulatory requirements – the incentive of financial institutions to have enough funds on hand to satisfy depositors’ deman Inflation • The inflation rate is the proportional rate of change in the price level • the inflation rate will be (π = v+m- y) – v=growth rate of velocity – m=growth rate of the money stock – y=growth rate of real GDP Example – growth rate of real GDP=4% per year – growth rate of velocity=2% per year – growth rate of the money stock=5% per year •The bulk of changes in the rate of inflation are due to changes in the growth rate of the money stock – the growth rate of the money stock (m) can change quickly and substantially – changes in the growth rates of real GDP (y) and velocity (v) are generally smaller • Nevertheless, inflation is not always proportional to money growth • The most important reason: Velocity is not fixed, but is affected by the nominal interest rr+ . Money Demand, Money Supply and Money Market Equilibrium • Up until now we have not made a distinction between money supply and money demand. • The reason for this is that until now we have assumed that the money market always clears, that is money supply is always equal to money demand. Money Demand • Economic theory implies that money demand should be inversely related to the nominal interest rate – cash and chequing account balances earn – the purchasing power of money erodes at the rate of inflation www.notesolution.com – the expected real return on money is π e • The opportunity cost of holding money is the difference between the real rate of return on other assets (r) and the real rate of return on money(-π e) – the opportunity cost of holding money is the nominal interest rate [i=r+π e] • As the opportunity cost of holding money (i) rises, the quantity of money balances demanded falls Money Supply • The supply (or stock) of nominal money balances is determined by the Bank of Canada, and is denoted by Ms • Let us assume that the supply of nominal money balances is independent of the nominal interest rates. • The supply of real money balances Ms/P will then be independent of the nominal interest rate Money Market Equilibrium • The equilibrium in the money market is given by the equality of real money supply to real money demand: M s/P = Md/P = M/P Money, Prices, and Inflation • Suppose that the rate of growth of the money stock increases permanently – the inflation rate will rise – if
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1-2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit