FSN 101 Chapter 2: TextilesWeek2Reading

3 Pages

Department
Fashion
Course Code
FSN 101
Professor
Luann Lafrenz

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade. are saying about us

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
find more resources at oneclass.com Sept. 20 2015 Textiles Week 2 - Reading Emily Moreno Comfort and Safety Properties • The complexities of comfort depend on characteristics such as absorbency, heat retention, density and elongation • Absorbency is the ability of a fibre to take up moisture from the body or from the environment. It is measured as moisture regain where the moisture in the material is expressed as a percentage of the weight of the moisture-free material. • Hydrophobic fibres have little or no absorbency • hydrophilic fibres tend to be oleophilic - meaning they have strong attraction for oil • Hygroscopic fibres absorb moisture without feeling wet - absorbency is related to static buildup; problems with static are more likely to develop in hydrophobic fibres because they do not contact electrons readily • Fibres that have good absorbency also tend to have good dyeabilty - they are receptive to coloration by dyes. They also tend to be good electrical conductors. • Absorbent fibres to not build up static charge readily and do not attract lint or create problems with static cling. • Wicking is the ability of a fibre to transfer moisture along its surface • Heat or thermal retention is the ability of a textile to hold heat - this property is affected by fibre, yarn and fabric structure and layering of fabrics • Heat conductivity is the ability to transfer heat through a fabric • Heat sensitivity describes a fibre’s reaction to heat • Flammability describes how a fabric reacts to ignition sources and how it burns • Density or specific gravity is a measure of fibre weight per unit volume • Allergenic potential is the ability to cause physical reactions such as skin redness resulting from exposure to the fibre Appearance-Retention Properties • Resiliency is the ability of a textile to return to its original shape after bending, twisting or crushing • Compressibility is resistance to crushing • Loft or compression resiliency is the ability to spring back to the original thickness after being compressed • Dimensional stability is the ability of a fabric to retain its original size and shape through use and care, which is desirable - including the properties of shrinkage resistance and elastic recovery Shrinkage resistance is the ability of a fabric to retain its original dimensions throughout • care. It is related to the fabric’s reaction to moisture or heat. • Elasticity or elastic recovery is the ability of a textile to return to its original dimension or shape after elongation it is measured as the percentage of return to original length • Aging resistance is resistance to deleterious changes over time • Mildew resistance is the resistance to the growth of mould, mildew or fungus Moth resistance is resistance to insect damage, including moths beetles, crickets, roaches • and spiders Resistance to Chemicals • Resistance to chemicals and chemical reactivity determines the appropriateness of care procedures and end uses for fibres as well as selection of appropriate dyes and finishes for fabrics and products find more resources at oneclass.com find more resources at oneclass.com Sept. 20 2015 Textiles Week 2 - Reading Emily Moreno • Acids are compounds that yield hydrogen ions to alkalis in chemical rections • Alkalis are compounds that remove hydrogen ions from acids and combine with the acid in
More Less
Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit