Fashion
Course
FSN 123
Professor
Luann Lafrenz
Semester
Summer

Description
CHAPTER 1: The Nature of Fashion -fashion industries: business that involves manufacturing the materials and finished products used in apparel and accessories -fashion business: includes all industries and services related to fashion (i.e. design, manufacturing, distribution, marketing, etc.) -for longest time, fashion marketing used technique of “telling and selling” (telling consumers what they want) rather than satisfying what consumer actually wants and needs Misconceptions About Fashion -designers and retailers dictate fashion -in reality, consumers are the one who decide fashion by influencing new designs and accepting/rejecting certain styles offered -fashion only influences women -fashion influences men to do things like grow or shave moustaches, which tie to choose and changing from casual jeans to a suit -fashion is a mysterious, unpredictable force -in reality, fashion can be determined and predicted by those who study and understand the fundamentals of fashion (i.e. fashion forecasters and services) Fashion Terminology -style: characteristic or distinctive appearance of a garment; or the combination of features that makes it distinct -i.e. polos are different from t shirts -fashion: styles that is accepted and used by majority of group at one time -is a result of society and acceptance -high-fashion: new style accepted by a limited number of fashion leaders who want to be the first to adopt changes and innovation in fashion -mass fashion/volume fashion: styles that are widely accepted and usually produced in large quantities at moderate-low prices -design: particular or individual interpretation, version, or treatment of a style -i.e. sweatshirt is a distinct style but can have many variations -style number: number assigned to each individual design produced -taste: opinion of what is and isn’t appropriate for a given occasion -good taste means sensitivity in appropriateness and artistically -classic: style or design that satisfies a basic need and remains in fashion for a long period of time -fad: fashion that suddenly comes up in popularity and affects a limited part of the total population, then quickly disappears -trend: general direction or movement of fashion -i.e. trend towards longer skirts Components of Fashion Design -silhouette: overall outline or contour of a garment (often referred to as shape or form) -1930s, Agnes Brooke Young’s research showed that there are really only three basic forms: bell-shape/bouffant, bustle and straight/tubular -details: individual elements that give silhouette form or shape
More Less

Related notes for FSN 123

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit