Premium

2 Pages

Department
Fashion
Course Code
FSN 232
Professor
Kimberly Wahl

This preview shows half of the first page. Sign up to view the full 2 pages of the document.
Art History - Chapter 26 April 13th, 2015
Dada, Surrealism, Fantasy, and the US between Wars
Pessimism following WWI was embodied in the art and literature that followed in Switzerland, particularly Dada
Dada
Wasn’t so much a style as a sense of shared formal qualities
-Writers, artists, and performers gathered at Cabaret Voltaire in Zurich
Lasted until about 1920
Many different accounts of the origin of the term Dada
-Happened upon randomly in a dictionary, “dada” as the first thing a baby says to indicate the
artist’s desire to “start life over”
Marcel Duchamp
L.H.O.O.Q. (1919) by Marcel Duchamp - phonetically demands the viewer to “look,” and if you read out the letters
in French it says “She has a hot ass” – FUCKING GENIUS
-He called it “ready-made-aided,” but when he added a title to an object it was “ready-made”
Submitted a sculpture of a urinal, entitled Fountain in 1917, signed R. Mutt
-It was rejected by the society and he resigned his membership
Jean Hans Arp
Founder of European Dada
Collage Arranged According to the Laws of Chance (1916-1917) by Jean Arp
-Cut out pieces of fabric and dropped them on the canvas, then pasted them where they fell
Hannah Hoch
Was the only woman in the Berlin Dada movement
Made collages of cut-up magazine photographs
Cut with the Kitchen Knife Through the Last Weimar Beer-Belly Cultural Epoch in Germany (1919-1920)
Surrealism
Andre Breton wrote the Surrealist Manifesto in 1924
-He saw the survivors of WWI and was searching thereafter to gain access to the unconscious
mind, where he believed the source of creativity lay
-This desire defined the works of other Surrealists
Giorgio de Chirico
“Paradigm of Surrealism” – his style was called pittura metafisica, or metaphysical painting
Place d’Italie (1912) by Giorgio de Chirico
Man Ray
He experimented with photography, manifesting in the Rayograph by placing objects on light sensitive paper
Le Violon d’Ingres (1924) by Man Ray was reworked with pencil and ink, combining Dada wordplay and
Surrealist imagery
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Art History - Chapter 26 April 13th, 2015 Dada, Surrealism, Fantasy, and the US between Wars Pessimism following WWI was embodied in the art and literature that followed in Switzerland, particularly Dada Dada Wasn’t so much a style as a sense of shared formal qualities - Writers, artists, and performers gathered at Cabaret Voltaire in Zurich Lasted until about 1920 Many different accounts of the origin of the term Dada - Happened upon randomly in a dictionary, “dada” as the first thing a baby says to indicate the artist’s desire to “start life over” Marcel Duchamp L.H.O.O.Q. (1919) by Marcel Duchamp - phonetically demands the viewer to “look,” and if you read out the letters in French it says “She has a hot ass” – FUCKING GENIUS - He called it “ready-made-aided,” but when he added a title to an object it was “ready-made” Submitted a sculpture of a urinal, entitled Fountain in 1917, signed R. Mutt - It was rejected by the society and he resigned his membership Jean Hans Arp Founder of European Dada Collage Arranged According to the Laws of Chance (1916-1917) by Jean Arp - Cut out pieces of fabric and dropped them on the canvas, then pasted them where they fell Hannah Hoch Was the only woman in the Berlin Dada movement Made collages of cut-up magazine photographs Cut with the Kitchen Knife Through the Last Weimar Beer-Belly Cultural Epoch in Germany (1919-1920) Surrealism Andre Breton wrote the Surrealist Manifesto in 1924 - He saw the survivors of WWI and was searching thereafter to gain access to the unconscious mind, where he believed the source of creativity lay - This desire defined the works of other Surrealists Giorgio de Chirico “Paradigm of Surrealism” – his style was called pittura metafisica, or metaphysical paintin
More Less
Unlock Document

Only half of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit