Premium

3 Pages

Department
Fashion
Course Code
FSN 232
Professor
Kimberly Wahl

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.
Art History - Chapter 27 April 6th, 2015
Modernism
Class Notes
Modernism used art to call attention to itself - it refers to itself constantly
Impressionists rejected underpainting and preferred to draw attention to the purity of the medium of painting
Greenberg thought the flatness of the painting was the most important aspect - shared by no other art form
New york became the center of the modern art world after Paris fell to the Nazis
-Europe had also rejected modernism
-‘Return to order” followed the first world war and rejected extreme avant-garde art
Art criticism was becoming more important, going so far as dictating the ways in which the art market operated
Rosenberg coined the term “action painting;” the process of producing art was just as important as the finished
product itself – it records the process of making art
Greenberg disagreed – promoted individual mythologies of art making (surrealism and others emphasized the
individual character of the artist) – He thought that the arc of art was bigger than any one individual artist
Hans Hoffman was one of the first American artists to have an impact on the Modernist movement
Josef Albers chaired the department of architecture and design at Yale
-Study for Homage to the Square (1968)
Jackson Pollock (Guardians of the Secret - 1943) was one of the first action painters
-Dripped paints onto canvases, working around canvases
-There were very few known female action painters – there was this idea that it wasn’t natural for
them to be painting in this way
From 1947 onwards, he would exclusively be painting in the drip method
White Light (1954) - He would build up a structure by layering paint, which created the illusion of depth
Art became a means by which to access certain parts of the brain that couldn't be reached through logical
conversation
Franz Kline Mahoning (1956) takes a simpler approach to lines - delicacy was required in the amount of paint
that was put on the brush to create the lines
Willem de Kooning Woman and Bicycle (1952-1953) – influenced by cubism and believed in the unqiue vision of
individual artists
-He didn’t make figures unrecognizable but emphasizes them by distorting them through the very
act of painting
Mark Rothko Number 15 (1957) – Looking for universal symbols; like to use rectangles
-he muted and blurred the edges between shapes and colors to create a sense of luminosity
Color field paintings was influenced by painters such as Matisse where broad areas of the painting are carried out
in one color to evoke a certain emotion
-Typically evoke calm reflection
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Art History - Chapter 27 April 6th, 2015 Modernism Class Notes Modernism used art to call attention to itself - it refers to itself constantly Impressionists rejected underpainting and preferred to draw attention to the purity of the medium of painting Greenberg thought the flatness of the painting was the most important aspect - shared by no other art form New york became the center of the modern art world after Paris fell to the Nazis - Europe had also rejected modernism - ‘Return to order” followed the first world war and rejected extreme avant-garde art Art criticism was becoming more important, going so far as dictating the ways in which the art market operated Rosenberg coined the term “action painting;” the process of producing art was just as important as the finished product itself – it records the process of making art Greenberg disagreed – promoted individual mythologies of art making (surrealism and others emphasized the individual character of the artist) – He thought that the arc of art was bigger than any one individual artist Hans Hoffman was one of the first American artists to have an impact on the Modernist movement Josef Albers chaired the department of architecture and design at Yale - Study for Homage to the Square (1968) Jackson Pollock (Guardians of the Secret - 1943) was one of the first action painters - Dripped paints onto canvases, working around canvases - There were very few known female action painters – there was this idea that it wasn’t natural for them to be painting in this way From 1947 onwards, he would exclusively be painting in the drip method White Light (1954) - He would build up a structure by layering paint, which created the illusion of depth Art became a means by which to access certain parts of the brain that couldn't be reached through logical conversation Franz Kline Mahoning (1956) takes a simpler approach to lines - delicacy was required in the amount of paint that was put on the brush to create the lines Willem de Kooning Woman and Bicycle (1952-1953) – influenced by cubism and believed in the unqiue vision of individual artists - He didn’t make figures unrecognizable but emphasizes them by distorting them through the very act of painting Mark Rothko Number 15 (1957) – Looking for universal symbols; like to use rectangles - he muted and blurred the edges between shapes and colors to create a sense of luminosity Color field paintings was influenced by painters such as Matisse where broad areas of the painting are carried out in one color to evoke a certain emotion - Typically evoke calm reflection Helen Frankenthaler The Bay (1963) – Would pour paint onto the canvas, sometimes in phases Frank Stella Tahkt-i-Sulayman I (1967) – He saw paintings primarily as things/objects. His paintings were “hard- edged” (for which the type of painting is known) Figurative abstraction is the tail-end of surrealism Jean Dubuffet The Reveler (1964) Francis Bacon Portrait of Isabel Rawsthorne Standing in a Street in Soho (1967) – Textbook Notes Abstraction was influenced by the influx of intellectuals and artists from overseas - Totalitarian dictators prevented artists from pursuing abstraction The center of the art world shifted to New York following the fall of Paris to the Nazis in 1940 The Teachers: Hans Hofmann and Josef Albers Hans Hofmann and Josef Albers were both immigrants from Germany, and taught
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit