Premium

4 Pages

Department
Fashion
Course Code
FSN 503
Professor
Catherine Sutton

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 4 pages of the document.
Images are factors in the power relations between peoples and individuals and institutions
- We see the medium in which an image is presented to us (screen, print), and the
context in which we are viewing it
Our social world is increasingly organized around practices of looking, even if you’re unable to see
- Glasses, braille, etc. etc.
Spectatorship
“allows us to talk about this broader context in which looking is enacted in an
interactive, multimodal, and relational field” (pg. 93)
- The context in which looking practices are engaged
the gaze
- A
gaze
is long and sustained; more than a glance, more invested and relational to the
thing being gazed upon
The Subject of Modernity
Rene Descartes was interested in using science and mathematics to establish rational certainty about
the world and nature
- “I think, therefore I am;” essentially nothing is certain outside of the mind
- The world is only accurately interpreted when we represent it in though, not when we
experience it through the senses and not when we imagine it in our mind’s eye (95)
Modernity
refers to the historical, cultural, political, and economic conditions related to the
Enlightenment (18c philosophical movement)
- Rise of the industrial society and scientific rationalism
- Also believe industrialization, technological intervention in nature, democracy and the
market economy were the hallmarks of social progress
All the countries that became “modern” in that area did so at different paces and with varying degrees
of success (e.g. the US revolution was associated with modernity under these pillars, but the
Soviet Union embraced the modern forms of industrialization and technological advancement
tied to a communist ethos)
- Europe usually enacted “modern” policies in a top-down fashion; done in a paternalistic
fashion to its colonies
- They believed that European practices were better than that of their colonies
Modern generally refers to contemporary times, but in art and culture it refers to the 1880’s - late 19c
- The idea of modernity within society has changed with time
- Ideas of modernity flourished
· The idea of modernity within society has changed with time
· Ideas of modernity flourished as a rural population began to move to the city
- Tied hand in hand with the rise of industrial capitalism
Embraced new technologies in applicable arts such as architecture
- The Chrysler building in 1930, and skyscrapers as a concept, were a manifestation
of this “modern” progress
Vladimir Tatlins
Monument to the Third International
was another great example
- Meant to embody the meaning of
revolution
- The different sectors of it would rotate at different intervals
A
Flaneur
is an urban dandy who strolls through modern cities (Paris) interacting with the modern
environment which he inhabits
Charles Baudelaire (poet) and King Vidor (filmmaker) integrated the urban experience of being lost in
a crowd of strangers, which came to characterize the social repercussions of industrial
Progress, in their art
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Images are factors in the power relations between peoples and individuals and institutions We see the medium in which an image is presented to us (screen, print), and the context in which we are viewing it Our social world is increasingly organized around practices of looking, even if youre unable to see Glasses, braille, etc. etc. Spectatorship allows us to talk about this broader context in which looking is enacted in an interactive, multimodal, and relational field (pg. 93) The context in which looking practices are engaged the gaze A gaze is long and sustained; more than a glance, more invested and relational to the thing being gazed upon The Subject of Modernity Rene Descartes was interested in using science and mathematics to establish rational certainty about the world and nature I think, therefore I am; essentially nothing is certain outside of the mind The world is only accurately interpreted when we represent it in though, not when we experience it through the senses and not when we imagine it in our minds eye (95) Modernity refers to the historical, cultural, political, and economic conditions related to the Enlightenment (18c philosophical movement) Rise of the industrial society and scientific rationalism Also believe industrialization, technological intervention in nature, democracy and the market economy were the hallmarks of social progress All the countries that became modern in that area did so at different paces and with varying degrees of success (e.g. the US revolution was associated with modernity under these pillars, but the Soviet Union embraced the modern forms of industrialization and technological advancement tied to a communist ethos) Europe usually enacted modern policies in a topdown fashion; done in a paternalistic fashion to its colonies They believed that European practices were better than that of their colonies Modern generally refers to contemporary times, but in art and culture it refers to the 1880s late 19c The idea of modernity within society has changed with time Ideas of modernity flourished The idea of modernity within society has changed with time Ideas of modernity flourished as a rural population began to move to the city Tied hand in hand with the rise of industrial capitalism Embraced new technologies in applicable arts such as architecture The Chrysler building in 1930, and skyscrapers as a concept, were a manifestation of this modern progress Vladimir Tatlins Monument to the Third International was another great example Meant to embody the meaning of revolution The different sectors of it would rotate at different intervals A Flaneur is an urban dandy who strolls through modern cities (Paris) interacting with the modern environment which he inhabits Charles Baudelaire (poet) and King Vidor (filmmaker) integrated the urban experience of being lost in a crowd of strangers, which came to characterize the social repercussions of industrial Progress, in their art
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit