Characteristics of places/ the uniqueness of places
• Forces and events shapes the physical environment and explains the cultural environment of
• Natural areas = medium
Cultural landscape = result – Carl Sauer
• places are dynamism and complex
Belief and value systems vary from one place to another
The influences & meaning of places
• places convey certain meanings and messages to the observer.
Family interaction, relationship between family member or outsider
• Places exert strong influence on people’s physical wellbeing, their opportunities and their
Some are positive some are negative, the closer you out to the facility may develop some disease,
• Places structure the daily routines of people’s economic and social life.
Spatial interaction (places interact)
• Most places are interdependent, each filling specialized roles in complex and everchanging
New York rely on Florida on food supply
• Places interact with other places in structured and comprehensible ways
• Everything is related to everything else. Twoway interdependence & Geographical Scales
• In today’s world, most interdependence is between geographical scales are provided by the
relationships between the global and local scales.
Ex, Local affects global, if you live in Alberta region, where owns lot of oil, eventually make
govt to make policy for them. Other places like Ogoniland, Nigena
• Global effects include European environmental movement protests against clearcutting in British
• Locallyinduced factors, designed to boosts lumber production in British Columbia could have
global environmental effects.
Why places matter
• In geography, we study how humans transform earthy spaces into human places
• Characteristics and boundaries constantly changes as they interact with other places.
• Places are important to us because they provide the context for our actions.
• Finally we should mention that places are also important in economic terms and so influence our
individual and collective lives.
The Nature of Place
Place is location in space Imbued with unique attributes that set it apart from other places.
Has objective attributes (size, ethnicity, income levels) and
Subjective attributes (big, exciting, or crime ridden), based on value judgments.
Places are not merely the built environment, but total environment comprised of physical space,
people, furnishings, machines, sensory attributes, action s and meanings. Places are not so much things as sets of expectations they are collaborations between you and the
attributes of the places, the outcomes of which can be good, neutral or bad.
The Nature of all places
It is not just classrooms that have a meaning imbued by its inhabitantsall front country
Meanings are defined by:
• Behavior – doing things appropriate to the space.
• Rulesdoing what is expected of you.
• Image doing what you expect of the places.