Chapter One: Introducing Management
1. Maquiladora (Mexico) is a free trade zone, where no tax is paid. There are more in China and Dubai.
2. The country whose name is written under “Made in…” is where the largest amount of production takes place.
3. Compromise Effect: when a company launch another product that is very expensive, to increase the sales of
its other middle priced products.
4. Organization is a collection of people working together to achieve a common goal. Organizations are open
5. Productivity and the dimensions of organizational performance:
6. Manager is a person who directly supports and helps activate the work efforts and performance
accomplishments of others.
Management levels in typical business
and non-profit organizations
7. Katz’s essential managerial skills: 8. Environmental Uncertainty: is lack of complete information about the environment – two types of
uncertainty: endogenous internal and exogenous external
9. What constitutes the external environment organizations: PEST (political, economic, socio-cultural,
and technological) and national
10. What is a specific (task) external environment of organizations: actual organizations, groups, and
persons with whom an organization interacts and conducts business – include important
1. Intellectual capital is the collective brainpower or shared knowledge of a workforce that can be used to
create value. Knowledge worker is someone whose mind is a critical asset to employers and adds to the
intellectual capacity of the organization.
2. Prejudice is the display of negative, irrational attitudes toward members of diverse populations.
3. A subtle form of discrimination is called the glass ceiling effect, an invisible barrier or “ceiling” that prevents
women and mem