Chapter 13

Chapter 13 - Leadership

4 Pages
Unlock Document

Ryerson University
Global Management Studies
GMS 200
Shavin Malhotra

thWednesday November 10 2010 Chapter 13 LeadershipThe Nature of Leadership leadership process of inspiring others to work hard to accomplish important tasks also 1 of the 4 functions that constitutes the management processleading builds the commitment and enthusiasm for people to apply their talents to help accomplish plans controlling makes sure things turn out right leaders are expected to be long term oriented even while meeting demands for short term oriented even while meeting demands for short term performance results leadership must be good at communication interpersonal relations motivation teamwork and changeLeadership and Vision leadership is associated with vision a clear sense of the future visionary leadership brings to the situation a clear sense of the future and an understanding of how to get there great leaders are good at turning their visions into accomplishments vision leaders inspire others to take their actions necessary to turn vision into reality 5 principles for meeting the challenges of visionary leadershipchallenge the process a pioneer encourage innovation and support people who have ideasshow enthusiasm inspire others through personal enthusiasm to share in a common visionhelp others to act team player and support the efforts and talents of othersset of examples provide consistent model of how others can and should actcelebrate achievement bring emotion into the workplace and really hearts as well as minds leading with vision means having a clear vision communicating that vision to all concerned and getting people motivated and inspired to purse the vision in their daily workPower and Influence effective leadership lie in the way a manager uses power to influence the behaviour of the other people power ability to get someone else to do something you want done or to make things happen the way you want need for power is essential to executive success it is a desire to influence and control others for the good of the group or organization as a wholePower of the Position Reward Power capacity to offer something of value as a means of influencing other peopleExample if you do what I ask Ill give you a rewardCoercive Power capacity to punish or with hold positive outcomes as a means of influencing other people Example If you dont do what I ask Ill punish youLegitimate Powercapacity to influence other people by virtue of formal authority or the rights of officeExample because I am the boss you must do as I ask Sources of PowerExpert Power capacity to influence other people because of specialized knowledge As a source of special knowledge and informationReference Power capacity to influence other peoplebecause their desire to identify personally with you
More Less

Related notes for GMS 200

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.