Chapter 5 Notes

8 Pages

Department
Global Management Studies
Course Code
GMS 200
Professor
Shavin Malhotra

This preview shows pages 1-3. Sign up to view the full 8 pages of the document.
Chapter 5: Global Dimensions of Management
International Management and Globalization
Global Economy: resources, markets, and competition are worldwide in scope
Globalization: the process of growing interdependence among elements of the
global economy
International Management: Involves managing operations in more than one
country
Global Manager: Culturally aware and informed about international affairs
Europe
European Union: a political and economic alliance of European countries
Euro: the common European currency
The Americas
NAFTA: The North American Free Trade Agreement linking Canada, the United
States, and Mexico in an economic alliance
Maquiladora: foreign manufacturing plants that operate in Mexico with special
privileges
Asia and the Pacific Rim
China and India becoming powerhouses
Similarities: economies that are growing at more than three times the average rate
of other industrialized countries, big populations,
Asian countries represent a third of the global marketplace
Africa
Experiencing economic recovery
Good resources
Outsourcing
www.notesolution.com
International Business Challenges
International Business: conducts commercial transactions across national
boundaries
Why Companies go International
1.Profits
2.Customers
3.Suppliers
4.Captial
5.Labour
Forms of International Business
Market entry strategies: involve the sale of goods or services to foreign markets
but do not require expensive capital investments
Direct investment strategies: require major capital commitments but create
rights of ownership and control over operations to the foreign country
Market Entry Strategies
Global Sourcing: materials or services are purchased around the world for local
use
Exporting: local products are sold abroad
Importing: process of acquiring products abroad and selling them in domestic
markets
Licensing agreement: one firm pas a fee for rights to make or sell another
company’s products
Franchising: a fee is paid for rights to use another firms name and operating
methods
Direct Investment Strategies
Joint ventures: operates in a foreign country through co-ownership with local
partners
www.notesolution.com
oEquity purchases and/or direct investments by a foreign partner
oJoining together to make an entirely new business
oStrategic alliances that help partners gain things through co-operation that
otherwise would be difficult to achieve independently
Foreign subsidiary: is a local operation completely owned by a foreign firm
Greenfield ventures: formed through direct investment in start-up operations
Complications in the Global Business Environment
Competitive
Different legal environments
World Trade Organization: member nations agree to negotiate and resolve
disputes about tariffs and trade restrictions
Most favoured nation status: gives a trading partner most favourable treatement
for imports and exports
Protectionism: is a call for tariffs and favourable treatments to protect domestic
firms from foreign competition
Multinational Corporations
Multinational corporation: a business with extensive international operations in
more than one foreign country
Types of Multinational Corporations
Transnational corporation: is an MNC that operates worldwide on a borderless
basis
Pros and Cons of Multinational Corporations
Host Country Issues
Potential host-country benefits:
oLarger tax bases
oIncreased employment opportunities
www.notesolution.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Chapter 5: Global Dimensions of Management International Management and Globalization • Global Economy: resources, markets, and competition are worldwide in scope • Globalization: the process of growing interdependence among elements of the global economy • International Management: Involves managing operations in more than one country • Global Manager: Culturally aware and informed about international affairs Europe • European Union: a political and economic alliance of European countries • Euro: the common European currency The Americas • NAFTA: The North American Free Trade Agreement linking Canada, the United States, and Mexico in an economic alliance • Maquiladora: foreign manufacturing plants that operate in Mexico with special privileges Asia and the Pacific Rim • China and India becoming powerhouses • Similarities: economies that are growing at more than three times the average rate of other industrialized countries, big populations, • Asian countries represent a third of the global marketplace Africa • Experiencing economic recovery • Good resources • Outsourcing www.notesolution.com International Business Challenges • International Business: conducts commercial transactions across national boundaries Why Companies go International 1. Profits 2. Customers 3. Suppliers 4. Captial 5. Labour Forms of International Business • Market entry strategies: involve the sale of goods or services to foreign markets but do not require expensive capital investments • Direct investment strategies: require major capital commitments but create rights of ownership and control over operations to the foreign country Market Entry Strategies • Global Sourcing: materials or services are purchased around the world for local use • Exporting: local products are sold abroad • Importing: process of acquiring products abroad and selling them in domestic markets • Licensing agreement: one firm pas a fee for rights to make or sell another company’s products • Franchising: a fee is paid for rights to use another firm’s name and operating methods Direct Investment Strategies • Joint ventures: operates in a foreign country through co-ownership with local partners www.notesolution.com o Equity purchases and/or direct investments by a foreign partner o Joining together to make an entirely new business o Strategic alliances that help partners gain things through co-operation that otherwise would be difficult to achieve independently • Foreign subsidiary: is a local operation completely owned by a foreign firm • Greenfield ventures: formed through direct investment in start-up operations Complications in the Global Business Environment • Competitive • Different legal environments • World Trade Organization: member nations agree to negotiate and resolve disputes about tariffs and trade restrictions • Most favoured nation status: gives a trading partner most favourable treatement for imports and exports • Protectionism: is a call for tariffs and favourable treatments to protect domestic firms from foreign competition Multinational Corporations • Multinational corporation: a business with extensive international operations in more than one foreign country Types of Multinational Corporations • Transnational corporation: is an MNC that operates worldwide on a borderless basis Pros and Cons of Multinational Corporations Host Country Issues • Potential host-country benefits: o Larger tax bases o Increased employment opportunities www.notesolution.com o Technology transfers o Introduction of new industries o Development of local resources • Potential host-country costs: o Complaints that MNCs extract excessive profits o Dominate the local economy o Interfere with the local government o Do not respect local customs o Fail to help domestic firms develop o Hire the most talented of local personnel o Do not transfer their most advanced technologies Home Country Issues • Outsourcing, cut backs, closes domestic operations to shift work to lower-cost international destinations Ethical Issues for Multinational Corporations • Corruption: involves illegal practices to further one’s business interests • Sweatshops: employ workers at very low wages for long hours, and in poor working conditions • Child Labour: is the full-time employment of children for work otherwise done by adults • Sustainable development: meets the needs of the present without hurting
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1-3 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit