Chapter 1

3 Pages

Department
Global Management Studies
Course Code
GMS 200
Professor
Sui Sui

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.
Chapter 1/Lecture 1
1.First question: what are the challenges of working in the new economy
a.Globalization: the worldwide interdependence of resource flows, product
markets and business competition that characterizes our new economy.
i. Improvements in technology combine with the deregulation of markets
and open borders to bring about vastly expanded flows of people,
money, goods, services, and information.
ii.Endlessly connected through the news, travel and lifestyles, in labour
markets and employment patterns, and in business dealings.
b.Technology
i.We live in a technologically driven world; dominated by bar codes,
automatic tellers, computerized telemarketing campaigns…
ii.No matter the size of a company, technology is an indispensable part
of everyday operations.
c.Diversity
i.Workforce diversity : describes differences in gender, race, age,
ethnicity, able-bodinesss, religious affiliation, and secual orientation
among workers.
ii.Glass ceiling effect: an invisible barrier limiting career advancement
of women and minorities.
d.Ethics: set moral standards of what is good and what is right in ones
behavior.
e.Careers
f. Intellectual capital: the collective brainpower or shared knowledge of a
workforce; to create value.
i.Knowledge worker: someone whose mind is a critical asset to
employers and who adds to the intellectual capital of the organization.
2. Second question: What are organizations like in the new workplace
a.Organization: a collection of people working together in a division of labour
to achieve a common purpose
www.notesolution.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Chapter 1/Lecture 1 1. First question: what are the challenges of working in the new economy a. Globalization: the worldwide interdependence of resource flows, product markets and business competition that characterizes our new economy. i. Improvements in technology combine with the deregulation of markets and open borders to bring about vastly expanded flows of people, money, goods, services, and information. ii. Endlessly connected through the news, travel and lifestyles, in labour markets and employment patterns, and in business dealings. b. Technology i. We live in a technologically driven world; dominated by bar codes, automatic tellers, computerized telemarketing campaigns… ii. No matter the size of a company, technology is an indispensable part of everyday operations. c. Diversity i. Workforce diversity : describes differences in gender, race, age, ethnicity, able-bodinesss, religious affiliation, and secual orientation among workers. ii. Glass ceiling effect: an invisible barrier limiting career advancement of women and minorities. d. Ethics: set moral standards of what is “good” and what is “right” in one’s behavior. e. Careers f. Intellectual capital: the collective brainpower or shared knowledge of a workforce; to create value. i. Knowledge worker: someone whose mind is a critical asset to employers and who adds to the intellectual capital of the organization. 2. Second question: What are organizations like in the new workplace a. Organization: a collection of people working together in a division of labour to achieve a common purpose www.notesolution.com b. Critical skills for success in the new workplace; mastery, contacts… c. Organizations are open systems: they interact with their environment to transform resources into product output (in the form of finished goods/ services) d. Organizational performance i. Value creation: if the operations add value then (1) a business organization can earn a profit; or (2) a non-profit organization can add wealth to society. ii. Productivity: the quantity and quality of work performance, with resource utilization considered. iii. Performance effectiveness: an output measure of task or goal accomplishment iv. Perform
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit