Chapter 13 - Leading

7 Pages

Department
Global Management Studies
Course Code
GMS 200
Professor
Shavin Malhotra

This preview shows pages 1-2. Sign up to view the full 7 pages of the document.
Chapter 13: Leading
THE NATURE OF LEADERSHIP
Leadership: The process of inspiring others to work hard to accomplish important
tasks.
Contemporary leadership challenges:
oShorter time frames for accomplishing things.
oExpectations for success on the first attempt, there are no second chances.
oComplex, ambiguous, and multidimensional problems.
oTaking a long-term view while meeting short-term demands.
Leadership and vision
Vision: A future that one hopes to create or achieve in order to improve upon the
present state of affairs (it is a clear sense of the future).
Visionary leadership: brings to the situation a clear sense of the future and an
understanding of how to get there.
Meeting the challenges of visionary leadership:
oChallenge the process: encourage innovation and support people who have
ideas.
oShow enthusiasm: to inspire others, others must see enthusiasm in you.
oHelp others to act: be a team player.
oSet the example: set an example of how others should act.
oCelebrate achievements: bring emotion into the workplace.
Power and influence
Power: Ability to get someone else to do something you want done or make things
happen the way you want.
oPower should be used to influence and control others for the common good
rather seeking to exercise control for personal satisfaction.
Two sources of managerial power:
oPosition power: based on a managers official status in the organizations
hierarchy of authority.
Sources of position power:
oReward power: offer something of value to influence others
oCoercive power: Capability to punish or withhold positive
outcomes
oLegitimate power: Organizational position or status confers
the right to control those in subordinate positions
oPersonal power: based on the unique personal qualities that a person
brings to the leadership situation.
Sources of personal power:
oExpert power: Capacity to influence others because of ones
knowledge and skills.
www.notesolution.com
oReferent power: Capacity to influence others because they
admire you and want to identify positively with you.
Turning Power into Influence
Successful leadership relies on acquiring and using all sources of power.
Use of reward power or legitimate power produces temporary compliance.
Use of coercive power produces, temporary compliance, often accompanied
by resentment.
Use of expert power or referent power has the most enduring results and
generates commitment.
Keys to Building Managerial Power
There is no substitute for expertise.
Likable personal qualities are very important.
Effort and hard work breed respect.
Personal behavior must support expressed values.
Power and influence are affected by workplace structures and networks:
Centrality: managers gain power by having networks and getting involved
with the information that flows within them.
Criticality: to gain power, managers must take good care of others who are
dependent on them.
Visibility: become known as an influential person in the organization.
Managers gain power by doing their job well.
Ethics and the limits to power
Chester Bernards Acceptance Theory of Authority
oFor a leader to achieve true influence, the other person must:
Truly understand the directive.
Feel capable of carrying out the directive.
Believe the directive is in the organizations best interests.
Believe the directive is consistent with personal values.
Leadership and Empowerment
Empowerment: the process through which managers enable and help others
to gain power and achieve influence.
Effective leaders empower others by providing them with:
oInformation.
oResponsibility.
oAuthority.
oTrust.
LEADERSHIP TRAITS AND BEHAVIOURS
Search for leadership traits:
Drive: high energy, display initiative
www.notesolution.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Chapter 13: Leading THE NATURE OF LEADERSHIP Leadership: The process of inspiring others to work hard to accomplish important tasks. Contemporary leadership challenges: o Shorter time frames for accomplishing things. o Expectations for success on the first attempt, there are no second chances. o Complex, ambiguous, and multidimensional problems. o Taking a long-term view while meeting short-term demands. Leadership and vision Vision: A future that one hopes to create or achieve in order to improve upon the present state of affairs (it is a clear sense of the future). Visionary leadership: brings to the situation a clear sense of the future and an understanding of how to get there. Meeting the challenges of visionary leadership: o Challenge the process: encourage innovation and support people who have ideas. o Show enthusiasm: to inspire others, others must see enthusiasm in you. o Help others to act: be a team player. o Set the example: set an example of how others should act. o Celebrate achievements: bring emotion into the workplace. Power and influence Power: Ability to get someone else to do something you want done or make things happen the way you want. o Power should be used to influence and control others for the common good rather seeking to exercise control for personal satisfaction. Two sources of managerial power: o Position power: based on a manager’s official status in the organization’s hierarchy of authority. Sources of position power: o Reward power: offer something of value to influence others o Coercive power: Capability to punish or withhold positive outcomes o Legitimate power: Organizational position or status confers the right to control those in subordinate positions o Personal power: based on the unique personal qualities that a person brings to the leadership situation. • Sources of personal power: o Expert power: Capacity to influence others because of one’s knowledge and skills. www.notesolution.com o Referent power: Capacity to influence others because they admire you and want to identify positively with you. Turning Power into Influence Successful leadership relies on acquiring and using all sources of power. Use of reward power or legitimate power produces temporary compliance. Use of coercive power produces, temporary compliance, often accompanied by resentment. Use of expert power or referent power has the most enduring results and generates commitment. Keys to Building Managerial Power There is no substitute for expertise. Likable personal qualities are very important. Effort and hard work breed respect. Personal behavior must support expressed values. Power and influence are affected by workplace structures and networks: Centrality: managers gain power by having networks and getting involved with the information that flows within them. Criticality: to gain power, managers must take good care of others who are dependent on them. Visibility: become known as an influential person in the organization. Managers gain power by doing their job well. Ethics and the limits to power Chester Bernard’s Acceptance Theory of Authority o For a leader to achieve true influence, the other person must: Truly understand the directive. Feel capable of carrying out the directive. Believe the directive is in the organization’s best interests. Believe the directive is consistent with personal values. Leadership and Empowerment Empowerment: the process through which managers enable and help others to gain power and achieve influence. Effective leaders empower others by providing them with: o Information. o Responsibility. o Authority. o Trust. LEADERSHIP TRAITS AND BEHAVIOURS Search for leadership traits: Drive: high energy, display initiative www.notesolution.com Self-confidence: trust themselves, confidence in their abilities Creativity: creative and original in their thinking Cognitive ability: have the intelligence to integrate and interpret information Business knowledge: know their industry and technical information Motivation: influence others Flexibility: adapt to the needs of followers and demands of situations Honesty and integrity: trustworthy, honest, predictable and dependable Focus on leadership behaviours: Task concerns o Plans and defines work to be done. o Assigns task responsibilities. o Sets clear work standards. o Urges task completion. o Monitors performance results. People Concerns o Acts warm and supportive toward followers. o Develops social rapport with followers. o Respects the feelings of followers. o Is sensitive to followers’ needs. o Shows trust in followers. Blake and Mouton Leadership Grid Classic leadership styles: Autocratic style: Emphasizes task over people, keeps authority and information within the leader’s tight control, and acts in a unilateral command-and-control fashion. Laissez-faire style: Shows little concern for task, lets the group make decisions, and acts with a “do the best you can and don’t bother me” Democratic style: Committed to task and people, getting things done while sharing information, encouraging participation in decision making, and helping people develop skills and competencies. www.notesolution.com CONTINGENCY APPROACHES TO LEADERSHIP Fiedler’s Contingency Model Hersey-Blanchard Situational Leadership Model Leaders adjust their styles depending on the readiness of their followers to perform in a given situation. This is different compared to Fielder’s mode
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1-2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit