Chapter 13 - Leadership

25 views4 pages

For unlimited access to Textbook Notes, a Class+ subscription is required.

Wednesday November 10th, 2010
Chapter 13
Leadership
The Nature of Leadership:
-leadership: process of inspiring others to work hard to accomplish important tasks
-also 1 of the 4 functions that constitutes the management process
leading builds the commitment and enthusiasm for people to apply their talents to help
accomplish plans; controlling makes sure things turn out right
-leaders are expected to be long term oriented even while meeting demands for short term oriented
even while meeting demands for short term performance results
-leadership must be good at communication, interpersonal relations, motivation, teamwork and change
Leadership and Vision:
-leadership is associated with vision: a clear sense of the future
-visionary leadership: brings to the situation a clear sense of the future and an understanding of how to
get there
-great leaders are good at turning their visions into accomplishments
-vision leaders inspire others to take their actions necessary to turn vision into reality
-5 principles for meeting the challenges of visionary leadership:
challenge the process: a pioneer; encourage innovation and support people who have ideas
show enthusiasm: inspire others through personal enthusiasm to share in a common vision
help others to act: team player and support the efforts and talents of others
set of examples: provide consistent model of how others can and should act
celebrate achievement: bring emotion into the workplace and really “hearts” as well as “minds”
-leading with vision means having a clear vision, communicating that vision to all concerned and getting
people motivated and inspired to purse the vision in their daily work
Power and Influence:
-effective leadership lie in the way a manager uses power to influence the behaviour of the other people
-power: ability to get someone else to do something you want done or to make things happen the way
you want
-need for power is essential to executive success, it is a desire to influence and control others for the
good of the group or organization as a whole
-Power of the Position:
Reward Power: capacity to offer something of value as a means of influencing other people
Example: “if you do what I ask, I’ll give you a reward
Coercive Power: capacity to punish or with hold positive outcomes as a means of influencing
other people
Example: “If you don’t do what I ask, I’ll punish you
Legitimate Power: capacity to influence other people by virtue of formal authority or the rights
of office
Example: “because I am the boss, you must do as I ask”
-Sources of Power:
Expert Power: capacity to influence other people because of specialized knowledge
As a source of special knowledge and information
Reference Power: capacity to influence other people because their desire to identify personally
with you
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 4 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Get access

Grade+
$10 USD/m
Billed $120 USD annually
Homework Help
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
40 Verified Answers
Study Guides
1 Booster Class
Class+