Human Resources
Course
MHR 405
Professor
Louis Pike
Semester
Fall

Description
MHR405 – CH6 Communication: the process by which the information is exchanged between a sender and a receiver with the goal of reaching mutual understanding. Telework: an individual that does work from home, a satellite office or mobile office with a computer connection to the main office. Communication process model Main components of the model are a sender, receiver, channel (medium) for transmission, barriers and a feedback loop. Effective communication: information exchanged between a sender and receiver with the goals of reaching a mutual understanding. Message: thoughts and feelings that the communicator intends to suggest in the receiver Feedback: any information that people receive about their behaviour or performance its effect on others or comparison to a standard or expectation. Nonverbal communication: all elements of communication that do not involve words Most messages are conveyed through nonverbal communication rather than through the words themselves. *Nonverbal communication includes tone of voice, pitch, loudness, body language, gestures and laughs. Four Dimensions of nonverbal communication 1. Paralanguage/ variations in speech  Paralanguage: speech variations (include pitch, loudness, tempo, voice tune, duration, laughing, crying) also includes silence and any exclamation. 2. Kinesics or body moments  Kinesics: the study of body movements, including posture 3. Facial and eye behaviour  Are used to sense others‟ emotional states 4. Proxemics ( a person‟s use of interpersonal space)  Proxemics: the study of interpersonal space across cultures  Social and intimidate  The closeness between another individual can be a good thing or not. Really depends on the culture they believe in. North American are comfortable with  3 feet while Asian culture are comfortable with 1 and half foot close. Emotional intelligence: the ability to recognize and manage emotion in oneself and others *important ways to communicate using tone and body language. Barriers to communication: factors that block or significantly distant successful communication. *Barriers can occur at transmission but can also exist at the forming, encoding and decoding phases of the process. Communication barriers 1. Cultural differences i. Low-context culture: use language primarily to express thoughts, feeling and ideas as clearly and logically as possible. ii. High context culture: value language as a very to maintain social harmony. *high context cultures are like Asia/ Middle East learn to discover meaning from the context *low context cultures are like Canada and Europe, tend to be more direct 2. Perceptual screen i. How we interact with people in the world and are composed f the individual factors each person brings, such as age, genders, values, beliefs, past experiences, cultural influences and individual needs. 3. Language and jargon i. Jargon: use of professional language // „reactive airways‟ instead of asthma 4. Status differences 5. Filtering i. Deleting, delaying or softening negative information as it moves up the hierarchy so that it sounds more favourable. 6. Gender and defensiveness i. **defensive communications tend to point the fingers and come across as evaluative rather than descriptive.  “do this, do that” ii. *defensive communication in organizations can lead to a wide range of problems, including hurt feelings, communication breakdowns, alienation in working relationships, destructive and retaliatory behaviours, non-productive efforts and problem-solving failures. Six characteristics of a Defensive communication climate 1. Evaluation: supervisor is critical and judgemental and will not accept explanation from subordinates 2. Control: Supervisor constantly directs in an authorit
More Less

Related notes for MHR 405

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit