Textbook Notes (362,834)
Canada (158,073)
MHR 523 (319)

Chapter notes

3 Pages
Unlock Document

Ryerson University
Human Resources
MHR 523
Margaret Yap

MHR523 – Chapter 2 The Legal Framework for Employment Law in Canada Provincial/Territorial laws govern approximately 90 percent of workers, while the civil service employs the other 10 percent. Common Law – The accumulation of judicial precedents that do not derive from specific pieces of legislation Contract Law – Legislation that governs collective agreements and individual employment contracts Employment (labour) Standards Legislation – Laws present in every jurisdiction that establish minimum employee entitlements and set a limit on the maximum number of hours of work permitted per day or week Covers maternity leave, maximum hours of work, equal pay for equal work, etc. Legislation Protecting Human Rights Charter of Rights and Freedoms – Federal law enacted in 1982 that guarantees fundamental freedoms to all Canadians Takes precedence over all other laws Provides the following fundamental rights 1. Freedom of conscience and religion 2. Freedom of thought, belief, opinion, and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication 3. Freedom of peaceful assembly 4. Freedom of association Equality Rights – Section 15 of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, which guarantees the right to equal protection and equal benefit of the law without discrimination Human Rights Legislation Broad in scope, affecting almost all aspects of HRM All jurisdictions prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, religion, sex, marital status, age, physical and mental disability, and sexual orientation. Discrimination – A distinction, exclusion, or preference, based on one of the prohibited grounds, that has the effect of nullifying or impairing the right of a person to full and equal recognition and exercise of his or her human rights and freedoms Intentional Discrimination – An employer cannot discriminate directly by deliberately refusing to hire, train, or promote an individual. Subtle direct discrimination can be difficult to prove. Employer may not ask someone else (employment agency, etc) to discriminate on his or her behalf. Also may not discriminate becuase of association (ie. Because of ill family member) Unintentional Discrimination – Discrimination that is embedded in policies and practices that appear neutral on the surface, but have an adverse impact on specific groups of people for reasons that are not job related or required for the safe and efficient operation of the business www.notesolution.com Requirement for Reasonable Accomodation – The adjusment of employment policies and practices that an employer may be expected to make so that no individual is denied benefits or disadvantaged in employment because of grounds prohibited in human rights legislation. Undue Hardship – The point to which employers are expected to accommodate under human rights legislative requirements. Failure to make every reasonable effort to accommodate employees is a violation of human rights legislation in all Canadian jurisdictions. Permissible Discrimination – Employers are permitted to discriminate based on a: Bona Fide Occupational Requirement (BFOR) – A justifiable reason for discrimination based on business necessity or a requirement that can be clearly defended as intrinsically required by the tasks an employee is expected to perform Harassment – Unwelcome behaviour that demeans, humiliates, or embarrasses a person, and that a reasonable person should have known would be unwelcome Sexual harassment – Offensive or humiliating behaviour that is related to a person's sex, as well as behaviour of a sexual nature that creates an intimidating, unwe
More Less

Related notes for MHR 523

Log In


Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Sign up

Join to view


By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.