Information Technology Management
Course
ITM 102
Professor
Catherine Middleton
Semester
Fall

Description
ITM102 TEXT BOOK NOTES Chapter 1: Information Systems in Global Business Today  E-commerce and internet advertising booming  New systems are being created with IT and its becoming a huge part of the business world  Successful firms are those that learn to use IT  The digital firm: business relationships are digitally enabled, customers, consumers, suppliers, employers  Globalization; flatter world due to the internet Three interrelated changes in MIS: 1. The emerging mobile digital platform 2. The growth of online software as a service 3. The growth in “cloud computing” Digital firm: a firm in which nearly all of its significant business relationships with customers, employees and suppliers are digitally enabled and mediated. Business processes: the set of logically related tasks behaviors that organizations develop over time to produce specific business results and the unique in manner in which these activities are organized and coordinated. Key corporate assets: intellectual property, core competencies Time shifting: business being conducted 24/7 rather than on 9 to 5 business days. Space shifting: work takes place globally Strategic business objectives of I/S Operational excellence: improving business productivity and efficiency New products, services and business models: a major enabling tool to developing new things, I/S allows for great innovations. Ex. Digital music Customer and supplier intimacy: I/S allows businesses to know their customers more, as well as their suppliers. Improved decision making: I/S allows for data to be accessed digitally giving managers the ability to know whats going on in their company and make better- informed decisions. Competitive advantage: using I/S allows a business to become more efficient and create a competitive advantage. Survival: when a new technology becomes standard in the industry, having it is a means to survival. If you don’t have it, you’re out. 1.2 perspectives on information systems Information Technology (IT): consists of all the hardware and software a firm needs in order to achieve its business objectives. Information: data that have been shaped into a form that is meaningful and useful to human beings Data: raw facts about anything in a form that humans cannot understand and use. Input: collects raw data from within the organization or from its external environment. Processing: converts raw input into a meaningful form. Output: transfers processed information to the people who need it. Feedback: output that is returned to people who will evaluate the input stage. Computer-based information system: use computer technology to process data into meaningful information I/S are composed of: Organizations, Information Technology, and Management Organization: Senior management: makes long-range strategic decisions. Middle management: carries out the programs & plans of the senior man
More Less

Related notes for ITM 102

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit