Chapter 7 Review Questions
1. You have just installed a new disk on a Windows Server 2008 server. Which of the following do
you do first to prepare the disk for use?
Answer: a. partition the disk
2. The _____ partition or volume contains the operating system files, such as the files in the
3. You have just upgraded from Windows Server 2003 to Windows Server 2008. Now you are trying
to recover a set of databases that you backed up on DVDs in Windows Server 2003 before you started the
upgrade, but the Windows Server Backup tool gives you an error message. What is the problem?
Answer: c. The Windows Server Backup tool is not compatible with backups made from the Windows
Server 2003 Backup tool.
4. Your company is considering installing an iSCSI SAN, but one of the department heads mentions
that he has heard Windows Server 2008 does not have a management tool for an iSCSI SAN. What is your
Answer: d. This is not true because you can install Storage Manager for SANs.
5. You are consulting for a company that has been performing full backups every night for its
Windows Server 2008 servers. Aproblem they have been experiencing is that the backups are taking longer
and longer. What is your recommendation for this company?
Answer: b. Use a custom backup that enables you to use a combination of full and incremental
6. Dynamic disks support RAID levels _____, _____, and _____.
Answer: 0, 1, and 5.
7. You are consulting for an organization that has chosen to use disk striping as a way to extend the
life of their four hard disks. Now one of the disks has failed and they call you for help. What do you advise
Answer: d. Install a new disk and perform a full restore on all four disks.
8. RAID level 5 requires a minimum of _____ hard disks.
9. As the IT director for a large investment company, you are always looking for ways to build in
better fault tolerance for your computer systems. As you consider your present hard disk storage situation,
you have a large SAN connected to the main network through a high speed switch. What else can you do to
assure fault tolerance for your SAN?
Answer: a. Create additional paths to the SAN, such as through one or more additional switches and
take advantage of Multipath I/O.
10. Which of the following can you restore from the Windows Serv