Chapter 15 Solutions
1. Your server has some damaged disk areas and won’t boot or run chkdsk automatically when you
try to boot. Which of the following options should you try to fix the disk?
Answer: d. Boot from the Windows Server 2008 installation DVD and access the command
prompt to run chkdsk.
2. You are training a new server administrator and are discussing common boot problems. Which of
the following do you mention? (Choose all that apply.)
Answer: a. disk read errors, b. corrupted boot file, c. corrupted partition table, and d. disk
failure on a drive containing boot files
3. You’ve just added a new monitor and driver to your server, but when you reboot, the display on
the monitor is unreadable and distorted. Which of the following can you do to help troubleshoot
Answer: c. Re-boot into the Enable low-resolution video (640x480) mode.
4. Name three problem-solving strategies for addressing a problem with Windows Server 2008.
Answer: Any three of: understanding how a server and the network interact, training your
users to help you solve problems, solving problems step by step, and tracking problems and
5. The security log contains hundreds of entries. However, you only want to track the audited logon
activities of a single user. Which of the following can you use?
Answer: a. Set up a filter.
6. Name five elements that compose system state data. What command-line command can you use to
backup system state data?
Answer: Any five of: system and boot files, protected system files, Active Directory,
SYSVOL folder, Registry, COM+ Class Registration information, DNS zones, certificate
information, server cluster data, IIS metadirectory. Also, the wbadmin command is used to
back up system state data. (Students can also respond with wbadmin start
7. Many users are reporting messages about memory errors on your company’s server. Which of the
following can you do to find out more about possible memory problems without taking down the
server? (Choose all that apply.)
Answer: b. Check the system log for memory errors. and c. Check the Hardware Events log.
8. Name three options that are available when you boot into the repair mode from the Windows
Server 2008 installation DVD.
Answer: Windows Complete PC Restore, Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool, and
9. Which of the following might be part of your problem-solving strategy? (Choose all that apply.)
Answer: a. Regularly check the logs. and d. Look for the simple solutions first.
10. You have inadvertently deleted an important Group Policy Object. What tool can you use to
Answer: Group Policy Managem