Chapter 11 Solutions
1. The IT director has ordered a 32-bit server with Windows Server 2008 Standard Edition pre-
installed. Today he wants you to install Hyper-V and a virtual machine running SUSE Linux
Enterprise Server 10 with Service Pack 1 in the 64-bit version. What is your response??
Answer: c. Hyper-V will not run on a 32-bit computer.
2. Which of the following tools can be used to install Hyper-V?
Answer: a. Server Manager
3. You are configuring a virtual network in Hyper-V and have set up a VLAN ID. Which of the
follow type(s) of virtual network(s) can use a VLAN ID? (Choose all that apply.)
Answer: d. external
4. Your company's IT committee to plan virtualization is discussing the issue of portability, because
there are several virtual machines that must be ported to larger computers to accommodate the
need for more storage and faster CPUs. One of the committee members asks you if there are any
tools to help port virtual machines. What is your response? (Choose all that apply.)
Answer: a. Hyper-V Manager offers tools natively. , b. System Center Virtual Machine
Manager can be obtained from Microsoft, and d. Virtual Server Migration Toolkit can be
downloaded from Microsoft.
5. You are having your weekly meeting with the IT programming staff which is currently discussing
how to redesign the budget system for your company. They plan to do the redesign using
Microsoft .NET Framework. As the representative from the operations IT group, which of the
following suggestions do you make? (Choose all that apply.)
Answer: b. Develop the budget system on a virtual server in a test environment and c.
Consider using application virtualization.
6. Data _____ Prevention must be enabled to use Hyper-V in Windows Server 2008.
7. Which Windows Server 2008 operating systems can be purchased with Hyper-V capability?
Answer: 64-bit versions of Windows Server 2008 Standard Edition, Enterprise Edition, and
8. List five business advantages of server virtualization
Answer: Any five of the following:
Lower hardware costs
Paying lower utility bills, including costs for running computers, air conditioning, and
Reduced staff costs
Reduced costs for space
Reduced software development costs
Reduced software implementation costs
Reduced costs for implementing systems on new hardware
More disaster recovery options
1 9. Your company is planning for the use of storage area networks as a way to consolidate and
streamline storage. Which of the following, if any, storage area network technologies are
compatible with Hyper-V? (Choose all that apply.)
Answer: a. SAS, b. Fibre Channel, and c. iSCSI
10. A system programmer in your company needs to turn off a computer running Hyper-V and virtual
machines. He is not sure how to properly shut down the operating syst