Chapter 2

14 Pages

Department
Information Technology Management
Course Code
ITM 100
Professor
Ron Babin

This preview shows pages 1-3. Sign up to view the full 14 pages of the document.
Chapter 2 – Technology Essentials
We make contact with IT all day long
For example, bank relies on IT to provide ATM, grocery store uses IT to make
transaction much faster, we use cell phones, mp3
IT allows us to do communication with others, such as through cell phones and instant
messaging
IT allows transactions between you and the organization with which you deal
It could be online purchases from website
The components of IT
All IT are limited to the following capabilities
oAccepting and storing information
oPerforming mathematical calculations
oApplying logic to make decisions
oRetrieving, displaying and sending information
oConsistently repeating the above actions many times
IT does this thing very well, IT devices combines all these capabilities in different ways
to help us more efficient and effective
IT consists of 3 basic categories
Hardware- it is the electronic and mechanical part that you can see and touch, such as
your computer monitor
Software- it is the set of instructions that direct the hardware such as Adobe Photoshop
Network- it is the technology that increases their power by allowing users to share
resources, including hardware, software and information
These 3 create a platform
Hardware
www.notesolution.com
IT devices share a common set of system components, we can categorize these general
components into 6 basic IT hardware
oProcessing- direct implementation of instructions and the transformation of data
oMemory- temporarily locates data and instructions before processing
oInput- provides the boundary used for data entry into a device
oOutput- provides the boundary use to retrieve information from a device
oStorage- stores data, information and instructions for the long term
oCommunications- connects one IT device to another
The hardware parts represent physical (hard) parts of a system, different from the more
adjustable (soft) parts
These six hardware categories are almost same to most modern IT devices including PC
Processing hardware
Transistor is an electronic switch that can be either on or off
On is represented by 1 and off is represented by 0
By combining several transistors, we can represent data as a combination of 1s and 0s,
which is in a binary format
There is a tiny chip made up of transistors at the centre of all computing operations is the
microprocessor
Microprocessor contains most of the parts that make up the CPU (Central Processing
Unit)
CPU is the computers brain, it works together with memory to control the execution of all
instructions and processing of all data
Memory
Computers have long-term memory (ROM) and short-term memory (RAM)
oRead only memory (ROM)
www.notesolution.com
Read only memory (ROM) contains instructions and data that only special
devices can change
In computers, ROM has the instructions used to control the start-up
processes (booting up)
After booting, computer no longer needs ROM, now it needs RAM
oRandom access memory (RAM)
Random access memory (RAM) stores data only until they are no longer
needed, or until you shut down the computer
It is called random access because CPU can access any item stored in
RAM randomly
Capacities of the memory range from kilobytes to megabytes to gigabytes
Input hardware
For an IT device to process information, you need to provide it with the required data
After data is in, it needs a way to present the information back to you
Input devices such as keyboard allow us to enter data and commands
Pointing devices such as mouse allow users to provide instructions to the computer using
hands to point and click
Scanning devices scans bar codes in most retails
For example in Loblaws, the scanning devices technology allowed the company to create
self-service checkout lanes
Output hardware
Output devices convert IT processed information into a useable form
When choosing output devices, knowledge-enabled professionals first is concerned about
the quality and speed of the output
Secondly they are concerned about the ergonomics, portability, compatibility, and
environmental considerations
Output devices are such as monitors, mp3 players, speakers
www.notesolution.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Chapter 2 Technology Essentials We make contact with IT all day long For example, bank relies on IT to provide ATM, grocery store uses IT to make transaction much faster, we use cell phones, mp3 IT allows us to do communication with others, such as through cell phones and instant messaging IT allows transactions between you and the organization with which you deal It could be online purchases from website The components of IT All IT are limited to the following capabilities o Accepting and storing information o Performing mathematical calculations o Applying logic to make decisions o Retrieving, displaying and sending information o Consistently repeating the above actions many times IT does this thing very well, IT devices combines all these capabilities in different ways to help us more efficient and effective IT consists of 3 basic categories Hardware- it is the electronic and mechanical part that you can see and touch, such as your computer monitor Software- it is the set of instructions that direct the hardware such as Adobe Photoshop Network- it is the technology that increases their power by allowing users to share resources, including hardware, software and information These 3 create a platform Hardware www.notesolution.com IT devices share a common set of system components, we can categorize these general components into 6 basic IT hardware o Processing- direct implementation of instructions and the transformation of data o Memory- temporarily locates data and instructions before processing o Input- provides the boundary used for data entry into a device o Output- provides the boundary use to retrieve information from a device o Storage- stores data, information and instructions for the long term o Communications- connects one IT device to another The hardware parts represent physical (hard) parts of a system, different from the more adjustable (soft) parts These six hardware categories are almost same to most modern IT devices including PC Processing hardware Transistor is an electronic switch that can be either on or off On is represented by 1 and off is represented by 0 By combining several transistors, we can represent data as a combination of 1s and 0s, which is in a binary format There is a tiny chip made up of transistors at the centre of all computing operations is the microprocessor Microprocessor contains most of the parts that make up the CPU (Central Processing Unit) CPU is the computers brain, it works together with memory to control the execution of all instructions and processing of all data Memory Computers have long-term memory (ROM) and short-term memory (RAM) o Read only memory (ROM) www.notesolution.com Read only memory (ROM) contains instructions and data that only special devices can change In computers, ROM has the instructions used to control the start-up processes (booting up) After booting, computer no longer needs ROM, now it needs RAM o Random access memory (RAM) Random access memory (RAM) stores data only until they are no longer needed, or until you shut down the computer It is called random access because CPU can access any item stored in RAM randomly Capacities of the memory range from kilobytes to megabytes to gigabytes Input hardware For an IT device to process information, you need to provide it with the required data After data is in, it needs a way to present the information back to you Input devices such as keyboard allow us to enter data and commands Pointing devices such as mouse allow users to provide instructions to the computer using hands to point and click Scanning devices scans bar codes in most retails For example in Loblaws, the scanning devices technology allowed the company to create self-service checkout lanes Output hardware Output devices convert IT processed information into a useable form When choosing output devices, knowledge-enabled professionals first is concerned about the quality and speed of the output Secondly they are concerned about the ergonomics, portability, compatibility, and environmental considerations Output devices are such as monitors, mp3 players, speakers www.notesolution.com
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1-3 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit