Textbook Notes (290,000)
CA (170,000)
Ryerson (10,000)
LAW (1,000)
LAW 122 (600)
Chapter 4

LAW 122 Chapter Notes - Chapter 4: False Imprisonment, Narcotics Anonymous, Detinue

Department
Law and Business
Course Code
LAW 122
Professor
Kernaghan Webb
Chapter

This preview shows half of the first page. to view the full 3 pages of the document.
Chapter 4: Intentional Torts
A number of torts require proof of the defendants intention. Torts that traditionally been labeled
intentionally torts include;
Assault
Battery
Invasion of privacy
False imprisonment
Trespass to land
Interference with chattel
oIntentional Torts: involves intentional, rather than merely careless, conduct. E.g. Defendant
may be held liable for battery if he deliberately punches the plaintiff.
ASSAULT AND BATTERY
oAssault: occurs when the defendant intentionally causes the plaintiff to reasonably believe that
offensive bodily contact is imminent. There are several important points to this definition.
i.The tort is not based on physical contact. It is based on a reasonable belief that such
contact will occur. But, if you punch me from behind, you do not commit the tort of
assault if I didnt know that the blow came from you.
ii. It is enough if the plaintiff reasonably believed that bodily contact would occur. As a
result, you may commit an assault by pointing a gun in my direction, even if the gun is
not loaded.
iii.The plaintiff must have believed the bodily contact was imminent. E.g. you probably
would not commit an assault if you threaten to kick me two weeks from now, something
more immediate is necessary.
iv.An assault can occur even if the plaintiff was not frightened. It is enough that the
defendant threatened some form of offensive contact. E.g. you may commit an assault by
swinging your fist at me, even if I know that you are too small to do any harm.
oBattery: consists of offensive bodily contact. There are several points to note about this
definition.
i.The requirement of “bodily contact is not strictly applied. It is enough if the defendant
causes something, such as a knife or a bullet, to touch the plaintiff.
ii.Not every form of contact is offensive. Normal social interaction is allowed.
Understanding the tort of battery is especially important for businesses that control
crowds or remove rowdy customer. E.g. Night Clubs. The concept of reason force is
important in other situations as well.
INVASION OF PRIVACY
As new technologies continue to emerge, ppl are becoming more concerned with their
privacy interest. Tort law has not yet caught up with those technological advances. There
is no general tort of invasion of privacy.
There are several reasons why the courts traditionally have been reluctant to recognize a
tort of invasion of privacy. They want to support freedom of expression and freedom of
information.
Privacy is indirectly protected by several torts.
A photographer who sneaks onto someones property to obtain candid pictures commits
the tort of trespass to land.
Employees who publish embarrassing details about their employers private life may be
held liable for breach of confidence.
1 of 3
www.notesolution.com
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version