Law and Business
Course
LAW 122
Professor
Kernaghan Webb
Semester
Winter

Description
Chapter 7: The Nature and Creation of Contracts Most ppl are unaware of the vast number of contracts they enter into every day. E.g. Buying a book from a friend. o Contract: is an agreement that creates rights and obligations that can be enforced in law. You were able to enter into that agreement bc you both experienced a meeting of the minds. o Meeting of the Minds: is a mutual agreement to enter into a legal transaction on a particular basis. o Exchange of Values: occurs when the parties each give up something. You both give up something as part of the deal, you = money & your friend = the book. A contractual relationship can continue even after there has been an exchange of value. Indeed, one reason for entering a contract may be to reserve some rights and obligations for the future. For e.g. If you purchased a book from a bookseller who offers a satisfaction or money back guarantee, you would enjoy the right to a refund. Contracts requires a number of distinct steps or elements: i. The parties must have an intention to create legal relations. ii. They must reach a mutual agreement through the process of offering and acceptances. iii. They must enter into a bargain by giving consideration. C OMPARING T ORTS AND C ONTRACTS Source of Obligations Privity Compensatory Risk Management Damages Torts Imposed by Law Enforceable regardlessPlace the plaintiff as i May take a person by of any agreement bt tort did not occur surprise the parties May require more than a person is able to give Contract Voluntarily created by Enforceable only by orPlace the plaintiff as i Always possible to s the parties against a party to thecontract perform know the obligations contract in advance Always possible to limit the obligations to promises that can be fulfilled For more info, refer to Chpt 3 Notes pg 1 INTENTION TO C REATE L EGAL R ELATIONS A contract will not arise wo an intention to create legal relations. o Intention to Create Legal Relations: arises if a reasonable person would believe that the parties intended to create legally enforceable agreement. The court is concerned with what a reasonable person would have thought, not necessarily with what the parties themselves actually thought. There are two reasons for this: i. A test of subjective intentions would be difficult to apply bc a person could easily lie at trail. ii. An important goal of the law is to protect reasonable expectation. 1 of 6 www.notesolution.com
More Less

Related notes for LAW 122

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit