Chapter 4

LAW 122- Chapter 4- Intentional Torts.docx

4 Pages
Unlock Document

Ryerson University
Law and Business
LAW 122
Theresa Miedema

LAW 122 – Chapter 4 - Intentional Torts Intentional Torts involve intentional, rather than merely careless conduct – Interference with person • Assault and battery • Invasion of privacy • False imprisonment – Trespass to land – Interference with chattels • Trespass, conversion, dentine Assault and Battery (p.79)  Assault occurs when the defendant intentionally causes the plaintiff to reasonably believe that offensive bodily contact is imminent  The tort is not based on physical contact, it is based on a reasonable belief that such contact will occur – swinging fists without contact  If the plaintiff reasonably believed that bodily contact would occur – pointing a gun in my direction even if the gun is not loaded  The plaintiff must have believed that bodily contact was imminent  An assault can occur even if the plaintiff was not frightened. Threatened some offensive contact i.e. swinging your fists at me even though I know that you are far too small to do any harm  The tort of battery consists of offensive bodily contact  The requirement of bodily contact does not strictly applied. It is enough if the defendant causes something, such as a knife or a bullet to touch the plaintiff  Not every form of contact is offensive. Normal social interaction is allowed. Someone brushed me in the elevator.  Risk management  Businesses must carefully train bouncers and security personnel to avoid using excessive force when ejecting rowdy customers from their premises  Businesses can be held vicariously liable for battery if excessive force is applied by security personnel  Assault and battery  Frequently committed together  Occasionally committed apart  Threat of contact without actual contact (assault only)  Actual contact without warning (battery only) Invasion of Privacy (p. 81) • Striking a difficult balance  Privacy increasingly under threat of invasion  eg camera-equipped cellular telephones  eg Internet predators and vulnerable children  Need to protect countervailing interests • eg freedom of expression • eg collection of personal information and data • No independent tort of invasion of privacy • Reasons: • Courts want to support freedom of expression • Courts are concerned about defining concept of privacy in a way that strikes a fair balance between the parties • e.g. courts are reluctant to award damages in favour of celebrities who seek out publicity but then complain when they are shown in a bad light • Difficult to define scope of protected interests • Losses often merely intangible (embarrassment) • Examples on page 81-82 1 LAW 122 – Chapter 4 - Intentional Torts False Imprisonment  The tort of false imprisonment occurs when a person is confined within a fixed area without justification  The tort can be committed if a person is trapped in a car, locked in a room, or set adrift on a boat  Physical force is not necessary. The detention may be psychological. If a shopper accompanies a security guard to a back room in order to avoid public embarrassment a tort may be committed  Malicious prosecution occurs when the defendant improperly causes the plaintiff to be prosecuted  Malicious prosecution vs false imprisonment  Malicious prosecution: focus on prosecution  False imprisonment: focus on imprisonment  Elements of malicious prosecution  Improper prosecution by police or citizen  Prosecution for improper purpose (eg malice)  Prosecution without reasonable belief in guilt  Plaintiff acquitted of crime  False imprisonment = unjustified detention  Detention may be justified by Criminal Code  Powers of arrest and detention  Police officers  May arrest anyone Reasonable belief in commission of crime  No liability even if no actual crime  Private citizens (including security guards)  Actual commission of crime  Liable if reasonable but wrongful belief of crime  Risk management  Business may reduce the risk of liability by calling a police officer, instead of directly arresting a suspect Liability may still be imposed if a business directs a police officer to make an arrest, rather than merely state the facts Trespass to Land p.86  A trespass to land occurs when the defendant improperly interferes with the plaintiff’s land.  The tort can arises by i) physically sneaking onto someone’s property or ii) simply something as kicking a ball onto someone’s lawn (if you do not retrieve the ball) even if you did not intend to do wrong or cause damage  Must be invited onto the property  Remedies  Damages  Compensatory, nominal, or punitive  Injunction  Prevent ongoing trespass  eg path persistently cut across
More Less

Related notes for LAW 122

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.