Chapter 12

Chapter #12.docx

8 Pages
Unlock Document

Ryerson University
Law and Business
LAW 122
Avi Weisman

Chapter 12 Contractual Remediesy One or more remedies may be available if a contract is breached Refer to Figure 121 pg 258DamagesIn the vast majority of cases the remedy for a breach of contract is damages Damagesis an award of money that is intended to cure a wrongful event such as a breach of o contractThe nature of the remedy needs to be stressed Expect in rare cases the plaintiff is not entitled to receive the exact thing that it expected to get under the agreement p Only entitled to monetary value of that thingEg if I agree to sell my car to you but later break my promise after you have paid the price you are probably not entitled to get the car itself but are entitled to the monetary value of that carThere are several reasons why courts usually award only monetary damages for a breach of contract i The courts of law historically did not have the power to compel a defendant to do anything other than pay money ii Contracts traditionally were seen as commercial arrangements bt business people p Todayis the only thing that matters in the business world iii Especially in the business world it would often be inconvenient to award something other than monetary damagesEXPECTATION DAMAGESThere are many different measures of relief or ways in which the courts can calculate the amount of money that the plaintiff is entitled to recover from the defendantThe most common measure of relief in contract law is expectation damagesExpectation Damagesrepresent the monetary value of the benefit that the plaintiff expected to receive under the contractAre forwardlooking bc they are intended to place the plaintiff in the position that it expected to be in after the contract was properly performedConsider the difference bt compensatory damages which are backwardlooking chpt3 and expectation damagesBackwardlooking damages are easily justified They allow the plaintiff to recover the value of something Eg favourable reputation or a broken leg that it previously enjoyed but lost as a result of the defendants wrongful act Forwardlooking damages go furtherallows the plaintiff to recover the value of something that is never previously enjoyed but merely expected to receive under the contract with the defendant Expectation damages therefore provide an assurance that if a promise is not actually fulfilled the innocent party will at least be able to recover the monetary value of the promiseRefer to Figure 122 Calculations of Expectation Damages Eg suppose you agree to pay 5000 for a computer that is really worth 7000 You expect to make a profit of 2000 However if the vendor breaches the contract by refusing to deliver the computer and if you have not yet paid the price you are entitled to
More Less

Related notes for LAW 122

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.