Law and Business
Course
LAW 529
Professor
Peter Wilson
Semester
Fall

Description
Chapter 7  ▯Occupational Health and Safety Act (Prevention) • Failure to comply with statutory standards can result in fines of up to $500,000  and terms of imprisonment.  • OHSA focuses on promoting a safe and healthy workplace and preventing  workplace accidents and diseases.  • The Workplace Safety and Insurance Act covers the compensation and  rehabilitation of workers who are injured or who contract a disease related to the  workplace.  The Internal Responsibility System  • System of join responsibility • Government alone cannot effectively regulate all workplace risks.  • Participation by all parties in the workplace.  • Joint Health and Safety Committees (JHSCs) in workplaces of 20+workers • Single Health and Safety Representative workplaces of 6 to 19 Who is Covered  • Applies to workers • Don’t have to be an employee in the legal sense  • The only workplaces not covered are the federal ones or workplaces where work  is done by the owner, occupant or servant in a private resident Key Features  • Specifies general rights and responsibilities of workplace parties  • The right to participate • The right to refuse unsafe work • The right to stop work • The right to know about dangerous hazards.  Duties of Workplace Parties  Several workplace parties may be found to be personally liable  1. Employer’s Duties a. Appoint competent supervisors b. Maintain equipment  c. Ensure the use of protective equipment  d. Prepare written policy e. Post the policy f. Acquaint the workers with hazards g. Identify and take inventory of hazardous materials h. Help health and safety representatives do their jobs i. Refuse to employee underage j. Keep accurate records k. Report accidents injuries and illness  2. Workers Duties a. Comply with OHSA b. Use any protective equipment required  c. Report and missing or defective equipment  d. Report hazards e. Refuse to participate in pranks and contests  i. * An employer who refuses or doesn’t discipline employees for  failure to comply will be found to be in violation of its obligations* ii. Even if it is not a “safety device”, if it has a significant impact on  the safe operation of something  ▯it counts.  3. Supervisors Duties a. Workers duties apply to supervisors  b. Ensuring workers comply  c. Advising or potential or actual dangers  d. Written instructions  e. Taking every reasonable precaution  4. Constructors Duties a. Worker on the project complies with the OHSA  b. Protecting the health and safety of workers  c. Providing advanced notice of a project  d. Appointing a competent supervisors (5+ workers)  5. Owners Duties  a. Ensuring facilities and workplaces comply with OHSA  b. Preparing a list of designated substances  6. Suppliers Duties  a. Under a rental or leasing arrangement must ensure that it is in good  condition and complies with OHSA  b. Does not apply if the equipment is SOLD  Workers Rights 1. The Right to participate in the Health and Safety Process (s. 8­12) a.  JHSC 20+ workers   i. Must be selected by workers who do not exercise managerial  functions ii. 20­29 workers, 2 members  iii. 50+ workers, 4 members iv. At least half of the members must be selected by workers  v. Co­chaired by one member selected by worker and one member  selected by management  vi. Names and locations must be posted  vii. Must meet at least once every 3 months  viii. Must pay them for meeting prep, meeting time, and time spent  doing other duties ix. One management and one member representative must be certified  and trained in health and safety.  1. Identify potential dangerous situations at least once a  month  2. Obtaining information from the employers regarding  workplace hazards 3. Making recommendations to improve  4. Investigation work refusals 5. Investigating serious injuries  6. Obtaining information from the Workplace Safety  Insurance Board regarding compensation 7. Investigate complaints 8. Stop endangering work  b.  Designated substance regulation applies where there is a toxic substance   order  2. The Right to Refuse Unsafe Work (s.43)  a. Restricted for some occupations either because danger is an inherent part  of their job or because exercising this right would impose danger on others i. Equipment ii. Physical condition iii. Contravention to the Legislation  b.  FIRST STAGE   i. Workers personal belief  ii. Danger need not me imminent or likely to result in serious bodily  harm  iii. Simply based on an honest belief  iv. Immediately tell supervisor that they are refusing work and why v. Investigate in presence of worker and one certified member 
More Less

Related notes for LAW 529

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit