Chapter 6 Notes

6 Pages

Department
Law and Business
Course Code
LAW 122
Professor
Kernaghan Webb

This preview shows pages 1-2. Sign up to view the full 6 pages of the document.
Chapter 6: Negligence
Negligence, in non-legal terms usually meanscarelessness.” In the legal term it is much
the same.
oTorts of Negligence: determines whether the defendant can be held liable for carelessly
causing the plaintiff to suffer a loss or injury. The tort of negligence requires the plaintiff to
prove that the defendant:
Owed a duty of care, in that it was required to act carefully toward the plaintiff.
Breached the standard of care by acting carelessly.
Caused harm to the plaintiff.
Even if the plaintiff proves those 3 elements, the defendant may be able to avoid liability
by proving a defence. 3 possibilities are especially important. The defendant may show
that at least one of these defences existed:
The plaintiff injury was caused by it owns contributory negligence.
The plaintiff voluntarily assumed the risk of being injured by the defendant.
The plaintiff was injured while engaged in some form of illegal behaviour:
Professional negligence simply refers to negligence that is committed by a professional
person (i.e. a lawyer, banker etc.)
The law of negligence contains a tension between 2 important values. On one hand, the
courts want scope of liability in order to compensate ppl who suffer injuries. On the other
hand, the courts recognize that the imposition of liability sometimes actually hurts
society.
E.g. If a business compensates everybody, it might not be able to carry on.
DUTY OF CARE
oDuty of Care: occurs when the defendant is required to use reasonable care to avoid injuring
the plaintiff. Without a duty of care, there cannot be a liability, even if the defendant carelessly
injured the plaintiff.
Test for Determining the Existence of Duty of Care
Duty of care is required for an action in negligence. Based on Donoghue v Steveson, the Canadian
courts have developed a unique test for the creation of a duty of care:
The judge will first ask whether or not the duty of care question has already been
answered for the particular type of case that she is hearing. We already know, for
instance, that the bottler of a beverage owes a duty of care to a consumer.
If the duty of care question has not already been answered for the particular type of case
that the judge is hearing, then it will be necessary to ask 3 questions in order to
determine whether or not a duty of care should exist:
i.Was it reasonably foreseeable that the plaintiff could be injured by the
defendants carelessness?
ii.Did the parties share a relationship of sufficient proximity?
iii. If an injury was reasonably foreseeable, and if the parties shared a
relationship of sufficient proximity, then a duty of care will presumably exist.
The judge might still deny a duty of care, however, on the basis of policy
reason.
Reasonable Foreseeable
1 of 6
www.notesolution.com
Chapter 6: Negligence
The reasonable foreseeable test is objective. It is based on whether a reasonable person in
the defendants position would have recognized the possibility that its activities might
injure the plaintiff.
It would be unfair to deny compensation simply b/c the defendant was unaware of a
danger. However, it is unfair to hold the defendant liable for every injury, even those that
were unforeseeable; a person cannot take precaution for every hidden danger.
Proximity
A duty of care will not be recognized unless there was also a relationship of proximity.
The basic idea is that there must be somehow be a close & direct connection b/t the
parties.
In simple situations, the court will focus on physical proximity.
In more complicated situations, however, the court will look at the issue of proximity
from a variety of perspectives. Depending on the circumstance, the judge may ask:
Whether the parties shared a social relationship
Whether the parties shared a commercial relationship
Whether there was a direct causal connection b/t the defendants carelessness & the
plaintiffs injury.
Whether the plaintiff relied on the fact that the defendant represented that it would act
in a certain way.
Duty of Care for Professional Statements
In a business context, the best example concerns negligent statements. The Canadian
economy is increasingly based on the supply of info and advice, thus some of the
statements based will be inaccurate. And therefore customers and clients will suffer as a
result.
Special rules are needed b/c of careless statements are diff. from careless actions in at
least 3 ways
i.Since the danger associated with physical conduct are usually obvious, the need for
precaution is normally clear as well. E.g. if you swing a bat in a crowded room, you
may hurt someone.
ii. “Words are more volatile than words.” In most situations, the risk created by a
careless action is limited to time and space. In contrast, if a duty of care exists for a
careless statement, there is a possibility of “liability in an indeterminate amount for
an indeterminate time to an indeterminate class.” E.g. If a financial report created
for personal purposes was mistakenly distributed to the public and it contains
inaccurate info, ppl might be suffer financial losses down the road.
iii.Careless statements results in pure economic losses, financial losses that are not tied
to any property damage or personal injuries.
Policy
A duty of care will not necessarily exist even if there was reasonable foreseeability &
proximity. The court will also ask whether liability should be precluded on policy
grounds. A policy is concerned with the effect that a duty of care could have on the legal
system and on society.
Open the floodgates by encouraging a very large number of people to swamp the
courts with lawsuits.
Interferes with political decisions.
Hurts a valuable type of relationship
2 of 6
www.notesolution.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Chapter 6: Negligence Negligence, in non-legal terms usually means carelessness. In the legal term it is much the same. o Torts of Negligence: determines whether the defendant can be held liable for carelessly causing the plaintiff to suffer a loss or injury. The tort of negligence requires the plaintiff to prove that the defendant: Owed a duty of care, in that it was required to act carefully toward the plaintiff. Breached the standard of care by acting carelessly. Caused harm to the plaintiff. Even if the plaintiff proves those 3 elements, the defendant may be able to avoid liability by proving a defence. 3 possibilities are especially important. The defendant may show that at least one of these defences existed: The plaintiff injury was caused by it owns contributory negligence. The plaintiff voluntarily assumed the risk of being injured by the defendant. The plaintiff was injured while engaged in some form of illegal behaviour: Professional negligencesimply refers to negligence that is committed by a professional person (i.e. a lawyer, banker etc.) The law of negligence contains a tension between 2 important values. On one hand, the courts want scope of liability in order to compensate ppl who suffer injuries. On the other hand, the courts recognize that the imposition of liability sometimes actually hurts society. E.g. If a business compensates everybody, it might not be able to carry on. D UTY OF C ARE o Duty of Care: occurs when the defendant is required to use reasonable care to avoid injuring the plaintiff. Without a duty of care, there cannot be a liability, even if the defendant carelessly injured the plaintiff. Test for Determining the Existence of Duty of Care Duty of care is required for an action in negligence. Based on Donoghue v Steveson, the Canadian courts have developed a unique test for the creation of a duty of care: The judge will first ask whether or not the duty of care question has already been answered for the particular type of casethat she is hearing. We already know, for instance, that the bottler of a beverage owes a duty of care to a consumer. If the duty of care question has not already been answered for the particular type of case that the judge is hearing, then it will be necessary to ask 3 questions in order to determine whether or not a duty of care should exist: i. Was it reasonably foreseeable that the plaintiff could be injured by the defendants carelessness? ii. Did the parties share a relationship of sufficient proximity? iii. If an injury was reasonably foreseeable, and if the parties shared a relationship of sufficient proximity, then a duty of care will presumably exist. The judge might still deny a duty of care, however, on the basis of policy reason. Reasonable Foreseeable 1 of 6 www.notesolution.com
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1-2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit