Chapter 13 Notes

7 Pages

Department
Law and Business
Course Code
LAW 122
Professor
Kernaghan Webb

This preview shows pages 1-2. Sign up to view the full 7 pages of the document.
Chapter 13: Special Contracts: Sale of Goods
THE SALE OF GOODS ACT
The Canadian economy was traditionally based on tangible goods; however, recently the
situation has started to change. We are beginning to depend on more intangible things, like
information and services.
Nevertheless, the sales of goods remain vitally important:
i.As individual consumers, we will always need to buy things like food and clothing.
ii. Many businesses in this country continue to deal primarily in goods, either buying or selling
things.
iii.Eve those businesses that do focus on info occasionally find it necessary to participate in the
sale of goods.
B/c sales of goods contracts are so significant; they are governed by a special statute, the Sale of
Goods Act. Interestingly, that statute was initially introduced as a codification.
Business people did not want to spend time or money in court. They want clear &
comprehensive laws that allow them to quickly deal w/ potential problems & get on with the
job of making money.
Thus, the British Parliament transferred, or codified, the judge-made rules into Sales of
Goods Act in 1893. Since then, all common law jurisdictions in CA have adopted virtually
identical legislation.
Judges wanted to provide default rules that would apply if the parties did not deal with
particular issues themselves, where goods can be bought and sold quickly b/c the parties do not
have to negotiate and agree on a long list of terms. The act does much of the work for them.
B/c the Act provides default rules, a contract may include terms that the parties did not even
discuss.
If you are buying or selling goods you should know the rights & obligations that the statutes
implies and if you are unwilling to accept those rights & obligations, you should walk away from
the deal or persuade the other party to adopt different terms.
A SALE OF GOODS
The Sale of Goods Act only applies to a sale of goods.
oSale of Goods: is a contract whereby the seller transfers or agrees to transfer the property in goods to a
buyer for a money consideration called the price.
Note for points:
i. The Act applies only to a sale.
oThe terms cover two situations: sales and agreement to sell.
oSale: occurs if the buyer obtains ownership in the goods as soon as the contract is created.
oAgreement to Sell: occurs if the buyer does not obtain ownership of the goods until some
time after the contract is created. E.g. a buyer agrees to purchase a car that has not yet been
manufactured.
oA sale of goods does not occur if the buyer is not intended to eventually obtain ownership.
E.g. if goods are leased, gifts, or it goods are provided as security for a loans.
ii. The Act applies only to a sale of goods.
oGoods are tangible things that can be moved. It doesn't include land or things that have
already been attached to land, e.g. houses and fences not moveable.
1 of 7
www.notesolution.com
Chapter 13: Special Contracts: Sale of Goods
oAct does not apply to goods that are not tangible = i.e. trademarks, shares, debts etc.
oDoes not apply to services.
iii. The Act applies only to a sale of goods for money.
oDoes not apply if the parties simply trade goods; say a car for a boat.
oBuyer does not have to pay entirely with cash; money cash and other forms of payment
(cheques & credit).
oMay pay with money and goods. E.g. purchasing a new bicycle by paying $200 & trading in
your old bike.
iv.The Act is sometimes enforceable only if the contract is evidenced in writing.
oThe requirement is limited in several ways:
a.Applies only in some jurisdictions and only if the price is over a specific amount.
b.A lack of writing doesnt mean that a contract is invalid, but rather that a court
will not enforce it.
c.The rule does not apply if the buyer 1) accepts part of the goods, 2) pays part of the
price, 3) provides somethingin earnest.
PASSING OF PROPERTY
oProperty Passes: when the ownership or title in goods is transferred from the seller to the buyer.
However, there is a difference b/t property and possession. E.g. the seller may still posses the
goods, in the sense of having physical control over them, even though the buyer has become the
owner.
The passing of property is important:
May affect the remedies that are available if a contract is breached.
If one party becomes bankrupt. E.g. suppose you pay the seller for goods that the seller
promises to deliver in a week. If the seller declares bankrupt before sending it, you will want
to prove that you already acquired ownership in the goods. Or you will have to share it
with other creditors.
Important b/c the Act states that risk passes with property unless the parties otherwise
agree.
oRisk: is any loss or damage that may occur to the goods.
The party who bears the risk suffers the loss if, e.g., goods are destroyed in a fire or stolen by a
thief.
The Act provides rules for determining when property & risk pass under 5 situations: E.g. Bus.
Decisions pg. 285 287.
Rule
1: Where there is an unconditional contract for the sale of specific goods in a deliverable
state, the property in the goods passes to the buyer when the contract is made & it is
immaterial whether the time of payment or the time of delivery or both is postponed.
Rule
2:Where there is a contract for the sale of specific goods & the seller is bound to do
something to the goods for the purpose of putting them into a deliverable state, the
property does not pass until such thing is done & the buy has notice thereof.
Rule Where there is a contract for the sale of specific goods in a deliverable state but the seller
2 of 7
www.notesolution.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Chapter 13: Special Contracts: Sale of Goods T HE SALE O FG OODS A CT The Canadian economy was traditionally based on tangible goods; however, recently the situation has started to change. We are beginning to depend on more intangible things, like information and services. Nevertheless, the sales of goods remain vitally important: i. As individual consumers, we will always need to buy things like food and clothing. ii. Many businesses in this country continue to deal primarily in goods, either buying or selling things. iii. Eve those businesses that do focus on info occasionally find it necessary to participate in the sale of goods. Bc sales of goods contracts are so significant; they are governed by a special statute, the Sale of Goods Act. Interestingly, that statute was initially introduced as a codification. Business people did not want to spend time or money in court. They want clear & comprehensive laws that allow them to quickly deal w potential problems & get on with the job of making money. Thus, the British Parliament transferred, or codified, the judge-made rules into Sales of Goods Act in 1893. Since then, all common law jurisdictions in CA have adopted virtually identical legislation. Judges wanted to provide default rules that would apply if the parties did not deal with particular issues themselves, where goods can be bought and sold quickly bc the parties do not have to negotiate and agree on a long list of terms. The act does much of the work for them. Bc the Act provides default rules, a contract may include terms that the parties did not even discuss. If you are buying or selling goods you should know the rights & obligations that the statutes implies and if you are unwilling to accept those rights & obligations, you should walk away from the deal or persuade the other party to adopt different terms. A S ALE O F G OODS The Sale of Goods Act only applies to a sale of goods. o Sale of Goods: is a contract whereby the seller transfers or agrees to transfer the property in goods to a buyer for a money consideration called the price. Note for points: i. The Act applies only to a sale. o The terms cover two situations: sales and agreement to sell. o Sale: occurs if the buyer obtains ownership in the goods as soon as the contract is created. o Agreement to Sell: occurs if the buyer does not obtain ownership of the goods until some time after the contract is created. E.g. a buyer agrees to purchase a car that has not yet been manufactured. o A sale of goods does not occur if the buyer is not intended to eventually obtain ownership. E.g. if goods are leased, gifts, or it goods are provided as security for a loans. ii. The Act applies only to a sale of goods. o Goods are tangible things that can be moved. It doesnt include land or things that have already been attached to land, e.g. houses and fences not moveable. 1 of 7 www.notesolution.com
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1-2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit