Chapter 7

6 Pages

Department
Human Resources
Course Code
MHR 405
Professor
Louis Pike

This preview shows pages 1-2. Sign up to view the full 6 pages of the document.
Chapter 7: Team Dynamics and Effectiveness
A Team is defined as two or more people with a common goal who are interdependent upon each other to
achieve a particular task and who hold themselves accountable to each other.
A Group is two or more people with common interests and continuing interaction. Groups do no
necessarily have task interdependence.
Task Interdependence is the degree of task-driven interaction among work team members.
3 Types of Interdependence Teams
1.Pooled interdependence
oWork individually but draw from a pool of common inputs/outputs
oEg) baseball teams, orchestra, musicians.
2.Sequential interdependence
oOutput of one member becomes and input of another; reliance on each other
oEg) Marathon runs from province to province
3. Reciprocal interdependence
oIndividuals have flexible responsibilities
oEg) tennis
Types of work related teams
1.Functional Teams include employees who work together on daily similar tasks and must
coordinate their efforts.
2.Cross-functional Teams same level but different work areas.
3.Problem-Solving Teams- focus on a specific issue, develop a potential solution, and are often
empowered to take action within defined limits.
4.Quality Circle- small group of employees voluntarily on company time, address work-related
problems such as quality control, cost reduction, production planning and techniques and even
product design.
5.Self-directed work team (SDWT- autonomy members carrying out interdependent tasks and
make decisions once reserved for managers.
www.notesolution.com
6.Virtual Team members separated by distance, time, or organizational boundaries, but are
linked by communication technologies.
Global Reality 7.1
- different cultures/backgrounds = broad range of experiences and expertise = enhance the teams
ability to be creative and innovative.
-however, diversity may increase uncertainty, complexity, and inherent confusion in team process.
-highly diverse teams two root causes for failures
1) members did not collaborate and develop trust
2) knowledge was withheld between different subgroups or cliques
5 stage model of team development (Tuckmans)
1.Forming acquainting; characterized by politeness, superficiality and uncertainty.
2.Storming-natural stage- emergence of different opinions and conflict, confusion, power
struggles.
-Faultiness- subgroups emerge naturally typically along various demographics
3.Norming- team experiences its first sense of trust and cohesion after addressing interpersonal
conflicts in storming stage.
4.Performing- achieved synergy and reaching its full potential
5.Adjourning wrapping up/finishing objective has been accomplished, members express
appreciation and regret work together is ending
*Stages 2-4 refers to phase of disequilibrium where members have midlife crisis going back and forth.
Team effectiveness (pg 189)
Must have the following 3 criteria met
1.Team survives
2.Meets/exceeds objectives
3.Needs of members have been satisfied to be working another time again
Overall Team Effectiveness Model (OTEM) team effectiveness depends on
1.organizational context
2.how the team is designed and set up
3.how team members manage their internal process
4.degree team members try to block the teams progress
www.notesolution.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Chapter 7: Team Dynamics and Effectiveness A Team is defined as two or more people with a common goal who are interdependent upon each other to achieve a particular task and who hold themselves accountable to each other. A Group is two or more people with common interests and continuing interaction. Groups do no necessarily have task interdependence. Task Interdependence is the degree of task-driven interaction among work team members. 3 Types of Interdependence Teams 1. Pooled interdependence o Work individually but draw from a pool of common inputsoutputs o Eg) baseball teams, orchestra, musicians. 2. Sequential interdependence o Output of one member becomes and input of another; reliance on each other o Eg) Marathon runs from province to province 3. Reciprocal interdependence o Individuals have flexible responsibilities o Eg) tennis Types of work related teams 1. Functional Teams include employees who work together on daily similar tasks and must coordinate their efforts. 2. Cross-functional Teams same level but different work areas. 3. Problem-Solving Teams- focus on a specific issue, develop a potential solution, and are often empowered to take action within defined limits. 4. Quality Circle- small group of employees voluntarily on company time, address work-related problems such as quality control, cost reduction, production planning and techniques and even product design. 5. Self-directed work team (SDWT- autonomy members carrying out interdependent tasks and make decisions once reserved for managers. www.notesolution.com
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1-2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit