Chapter 9

10 Pages

Department
Human Resources
Course Code
MHR 405
Professor
Louis Pike

This preview shows pages 1-3. Sign up to view the full 10 pages of the document.
Chapter 9 Power and Influence
EllisDon is a Canadian Success Story
Specialize in industrial, commercial, and infrastructure construction projects. (AGO)
50 Best Employers to work for in Canada winner
93% of employees would recommend firm to friends
1996, almost bankrupt (but changed its leadership style)
Giving responsibilities to employees and supporting when fail
CEO Geoff Smith seeing happy people first day on job, and not screw that up for them.. help others
become a leader
Introduction to power, Influence, and Political Behaviour
Power, Influence, and Political Behaviour: Relationship and Differences
Power: ability/ potential of one party to change or control the behaviour, attitudes, opinion, objectives,
needs, or values of another party
Influence: process of actually exercising this power by affecting the thoughts, behaviour and feelings of
others
Political behaviour: is defined as influence attempts that are for personal gain and are not officially
sanctioned by an org
The Org Power Conversion Grid (OPCG): An organizing framework
Power comes from 6 sources
Having access to power does not guarantee that an individual will become influential
OPCG is a set up to show that the cause-effect relationships between power sources, influence tactics, and
outcomes are moderated by certain org conditions such as the degree to which someone is replaceable
www.notesolution.com
Why are Power, Influence, and Political Behaviour Important to study?
Increasing uncertainly and change in both internal and external environments of org
Increasing uncertainly and disagreement about choices
During times of uncertainty, resources are scarce, people are more likely to use power, influence and
political behaviour to get what they want
Powerlessness: lack of power leads to bossiness, micromanagement, inflexible adherence to rules,
tendency to do job oneself than train gin employees to do, focusing on budget cutting, and punishing
others.
Individual Sources of Power and their Effects
French and Ravens 5 earliest classifications of social power
oLegitimate power “do it because Im boss
oRewarddo it because there is something in it for you
oCoercivedo it or else
oReferent “do it because you respect, like, or identify with me
oExpert power “do it because you value my expertise on the matter
oInfo access newdo it because you want access to the info I have
Legitimate Power: power based on position and mutual agreement that the power holder has the right to influence
another person.
Not enough to guarantee influence though status promotion is source of power
What matters is that employees must believe that the manager has the right to tell them what to do
Reward Power: power based on a persons ability to control the rewards another wants.
www.notesolution.com
E.g. managers control rewards of salary increases
Reward power lead to better performance
Only works if person values the reward being offered (valence) and perceives high performance-reward
profitability
Coercive Power: power based on a persons ability to cause an unpleasant experience.
E.g. my supervisor fires me if I neglect my duties.
Coercive and legitimate power increase employee perception of stress
Coercive consequences (warnings, disciplinary actions) is a necessary component for effectively
influencing the negative behaviour of some employees.
Verbal abuse, bullying, physical punishment are ineffective uses of coercive power to influence
Uk passeddignity at work bill for anti-bullying legislation
Referent Power: elusive power based on interpersonal attraction.
E.g. my supervisor makes me feel personally accepted
Charisma: personal trait that gives a leader referent power over followers
Strong predictor of employees satisfaction with supervisors
Charismatic leaders show greater capacity for igniting conflict among followers...? York U study
Does not come with position
Expert Power: power based on a persons specialized knowledge or skills that another needs. (pg 258)
Does not come with position: has to be earned
Effective in influencing others
My supervisor has considerable professional experience to draw from helping me do my work
3 conditions for it to work
oTarget must trust that expertise given is accurate
oKnowledge involved must be relevant and useful to the target
oTargets perception of the agent as an expert is crucial
Called the power of the future
It has the strongest relationship with performance and satisfaction of the 5 forms of power
Through expert power, vital skills, abilities and knowledge are passed within org
www.notesolution.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Chapter 9 Power and Influence EllisDon is a Canadian Success Story Specialize in industrial, commercial, and infrastructure construction projects. (AGO) 50 Best Employers to work for in Canada winner 93% of employees would recommend firm to friends 1996, almost bankrupt (but changed its leadership style) Giving responsibilities to employees and supporting when fail CEO Geoff Smith seeing happy people first day on job, and not screw that up for them.. help others become a leader Introduction to power, Influence, and Political Behaviour Power, Influence, and Political Behaviour: Relationship and Differences Power: ability potential of one party to change or control the behaviour, attitudes, opinion, objectives, needs, or values of another party Influence: process of actually exercising this power by affecting the thoughts, behaviour and feelings of others Political behaviour: is defined as influence attempts that are for personal gain and are not officially sanctioned by an org The Org Power Conversion Grid (OPCG): An organizing framework Power comes from 6 sources Having access to power does not guarantee that an individual will become influential OPCG is a set up to show that the cause-effect relationships between power sources, influence tactics, and outcomes are moderated by certain org conditions such as the degree to which someone is replaceable www.notesolution.com
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1-3 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit