Chapter 7

11 Pages

Department
Human Resources
Course Code
MHR 405
Professor
Louis Pike

This preview shows pages 1-3. Sign up to view the full 11 pages of the document.
Chapter 7 – Team dynamics and effectiveness
What is a team?
Group is 2 or more people having common interests, objectives and continuing
interaction
There are formal and informal groups
Informal groups are such as interest groups representing a department, unit or a company
Team is 2 or more people with common objective who are mutually dependent upon each
other to achieve a particular task and who hold themselves accountable to each other
Work teams are task-oriented groups, supported by the company, and very useful in doing
work that is complicated and much greater than one person can handle
How teams differ
Teams differ from groups
Teams also differ in other ways such as
oThe amount and nature of the task-driven interaction required to get the work
done (task interdependence)
oIn terms of whether they are permanent or temporary
Task interdependence is the amount of task assigned among work team members
All teams have some task interdependence (mutually dependent on each other), but the
nature of this can be reciprocal, sequential or pooled
Pooled interdependence
Teams like baseball teams with each members having fixed responsibilities and the
performance of the team resulting from the sum of (pooling of) the performance of the
individual members, these teams have pooled interdependence
Task interdependence is pooled that means team members work individually but either
draw from a pool of common efforts or pool their outputs
Sequential interdependence
www.notesolution.com
Some teams like football teams work through organized action or it is called sequential
interdependence
This type of teams rely on each other for resources with the production of one member
becoming the contribution of another
Reciprocal interdependence
Teams like tennis teams with each having flexible responsibilities, these are called
reciprocal interdependence
In this type of team, work is being exchanged back and forth among 2 members
Different types of work teams
Temporary teams work temporarily on a specific project and then separate when its done,
for example project teams
Permanent work teams remain together and have ongoing responsibility
For example self-managed work teams (SMWTs) members have independence to carry
out interdependent tasks and make decisions that were once reserved for managers
Some work teams are created to solve specific problems, for example improving quality,
work process
Main purpose of those teams is to make recommendations only not applying the
suggested solutions
Quality circles are small groups of employees who work voluntarily on company time,
1hr per week, to handle work-related problems such as quality control, cost reduction,
production planning and techniques and product design
How teams develop
The 5 stage model of team development
Teams pass through 5 stages of development
5 stages are
oForming
oStorming
www.notesolution.com
oNorming
oPerforming
oAdjourning
Teams 5 stages does not always keep going, 1 stage after another, the stages goes back
when membership changes, for example if someone leaves the team or joins the team
Development through this stages are not always smooth because of demographic
diversity, endless conflict and the formation of sub-teams
Stage 1: forming (dependency and inclusion)
Forming is the 1st stage in team development and described by politeness, superficiality
and hesitation
In team members mind, questions like these come up “Who are these people?”What is
expected of me?”
Team members find out rules and behaviours expected
Stage 2: storming (counterdepedency and fighting)
Storming is the 2nd stage in team development, it is described by conflict, confusion and
the appearance of groups as team members struggle over issues of leadership and control
In team members mind, questions like these come up “How will we handle differences of
opinion?”How will we communicate negative information?”
Disagreements between team members happen over goals, and ways of doing work, also
tensions arise
To resolve these issues, team members refocuses on goals and use supportive
communication strategies to gain better understanding and use conflict management
strategies
Stage 3: norming (trust and structure)
Norming is the 3rd stage in team development, it is described by consistency, trust and
clarification of group roles and norms
In team members mind, questions like these come up “What are the norms and values of
this team?”How can I best get along with everyone else?”
www.notesolution.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Chapter 7 Team dynamics and effectiveness What is a team? Group is 2 or more people having common interests, objectives and continuing interaction There are formal and informal groups Informal groups are such as interest groups representing a department, unit or a company Team is 2 or more people with common objective who are mutually dependent upon each other to achieve a particular task and who hold themselves accountable to each other Work teams are task-oriented groups, supported by the company, and very useful in doing work that is complicated and much greater than one person can handle How teams differ Teams differ from groups Teams also differ in other ways such as o The amount and nature of the task-driven interaction required to get the work done (task interdependence) o In terms of whether they are permanent or temporary Task interdependence is the amount of task assigned among work team members All teams have some task interdependence (mutually dependent on each other), but the nature of this can be reciprocal, sequential or pooled Pooled interdependence Teams like baseball teams with each members having fixed responsibilities and the performance of the team resulting from the sum of (pooling of) the performance of the individual members, these teams have pooled interdependence Task interdependence is pooled that means team members work individually but either draw from a pool of common efforts or pool their outputs Sequential interdependence www.notesolution.com Some teams like football teams work through organized action or it is called sequential interdependence This type of teams rely on each other for resources with the production of one member becoming the contribution of another Reciprocal interdependence Teams like tennis teams with each having flexible responsibilities, these are called reciprocal interdependence In this type of team, work is being exchanged back and forth among 2 members Different types of work teams Temporary teams work temporarily on a specific project and then separate when its done, for example project teams Permanent work teams remain together and have ongoing responsibility For example self-managed work teams (SMWTs) members have independence to carry out interdependent tasks and make decisions that were once reserved for managers Some work teams are created to solve specific problems, for example improving quality, work process Main purpose of those teams is to make recommendations only not applying the suggested solutions Quality circles are small groups of employees who work voluntarily on company time, 1hr per week, to handle work-related problems such as quality control, cost reduction, production planning and techniques and product design How teams develop The 5 stage model of team development Teams pass through 5 stages of development 5 stages are o Forming o Storming www.notesolution.com
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1-3 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit