OBXtra 2

4 Pages

Department
Human Resources
Course Code
MHR 505
Professor
Frank Miller

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 4 pages of the document.
MHR 505
Week 6
OBXtra 2 Emotional Intelligence
The Role of Emotions in the Workplace
Emotional intelligence a form of social interaction that involves the ability to
monitor ones own and others’ feelings and emotions and to use this information to
guide ones thinking and actions
EI has to do with knowing when and how to express emotions and understanding
how to control them; has to do with our ability to deal with political environments,
understand these environments, and grasp how to best handle situations in them
EI enables us to grasp the needs and wants of others and respond accordingly
Emotional Intelligence and Emotion Regulation Skills
EI is measured using the Mayer-Salovey-Caruso Emotional Intelligence Test
(MSCEIT)
There are four components
1. Self-Awareness
Refers to our ability to accurately perceive our emotions and to recognize a feeling as
it happens
This ability to self-monitor that is important to understanding ourselves and gaining
valuable insights into our emotions
Emotional self-awareness depends, in part, on our ability to adequately appraise our
own internal goal states and coping potential and includes appraisal competence
2. Self-Management and Emotion Regulation
Recent research has taught us that we can actually begin the emotion regulation
process prior to finding ourselves in an emotionally charged situation
Five distinct processes:
1.Situation selection select or avoid situations to get involved in
2.Situation modification if I find myself in a situation that triggers
emotions, I can modify the situation to either minimize/maximize the degree
of emotion that might be triggered
www.notesolution.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
MHR 505 Week 6 OBXtra 2 Emotional Intelligence The Role of Emotions in the Workplace Emotional intelligence a form of social interaction that involves the ability to monitor ones own and others feelings and emotions and to use this information to guide ones thinking and actions EI has to do with knowing when and how to express emotions and understanding how to control them; has to do with our ability to deal with political environments, understand these environments, and grasp how to best handle situations in them EI enables us to grasp the needs and wants of others and respond accordingly Emotional Intelligence and Emotion Regulation Skills EI is measured using the Mayer-Salovey-Caruso Emotional Intelligence Test (MSCEIT) There are four components 1. Self-Awareness Refers to our ability to accurately perceive our emotions and to recognize a feeling as it happens This ability to self-monitor that is important to understanding ourselves and gaining valuable insights into our emotions Emotional self-awareness depends, in part, on our ability to adequately appraise our own internal goal states and coping potential and includes appraisal competence 2. Self-Management and Emotion Regulation Recent research has taught us that we can actually begin the emotion regulation process prior to finding ourselves in an emotionally charged situation Five distinct processes: 1. Situation selection select or avoid situations to get involved in 2. Situation modification if I find myself in a situation that triggers emotions, I can modify the situation to either minimizemaximize the degree of emotion that might be triggered www.notesolution.com
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit