OBXtra 4

2 Pages

Department
Human Resources
Course Code
MHR 505
Professor
Frank Miller

This preview shows half of the first page. Sign up to view the full 2 pages of the document.
MHR 505
Week 2
OBXtra 4 High Performance Teams
What are SDWTs?
Self-directed work teams a unique type of permanent teams defined as a group
of interdependent individuals that can self-regulate on relatively whole tasks
SDWTs have become more prevalent in North America because of increased
competitiveness
Members of this type of team have the autonomy to carry out tasks and make
decisions that were once reserved for managers, such as work scheduling, job
assignments and staffing
The decision making activities of self-managed work teams are more broadly focused
than those of quality circles which usually emphasize quality and production
problems
Do SDWTs Work?
An analysis of 70 studies concluded that self-managed work teams positively affected
productivity and attitudes towards self-management
The analysis indicated no significant effects of self-managed teams on job
satisfaction, absenteeism, or turnover
The implementation of trams does not guarantee improved performance either; one
evaluation of SDWTs and TQM programs found that companies associated with
these popular management techniques did not have higher economic performance
A study that examined the benefits of quality circles and SDWTs had the following
findings:
oFirms that used only QCs had higher levels of productivity than firms with
no teams
oFirms with only SDWTs and those with SDWTs and QCs benefited from
increased productivity, a reduced management hierarchy, and reduced
employee turnover
oApart from higher levels of productivity that occurred only within the first
two years of implementing self-managing work teams, firms with these
structures continued to improve upon the initial benefits of reduced employee
www.notesolution.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
MHR 505 Week 2 OBXtra 4 – High Performance Teams What are SDWTs? • Self-directed work teams – a unique type of permanent teams defined as a group of interdependent individuals that can self-regulate on relatively whole tasks • SDWTs have become more prevalent in North America because of increased competitiveness • Members of this type of team have the autonomy to carry out tasks and make decisions that were once reserved for managers, such as work scheduling, job assignments and staffing • The decision making activities of self-managed work teams are more broadly focused than those of quality circles which usually emphasize quality and production problems Do SDWTs Work? • An analysis of 70 studies concluded that self-managed work teams positively affected productivity and attitudes towards self-management • The analysis indicated no significant effects of self-managed teams on job satisfaction, absenteeism, or turnover • The implementation of trams does not guarantee improved performance either; one evaluation of SDWTs and TQM programs found that companies associated with these popular management techniques did not have higher economic performance • A study that examined the benefits of quality circles and SDWTs had the following findings: o Firms that used only QCs had higher levels of productivity than firms with no teams o Firms with only SDWTs and those with SDWTs and QCs benefited from increased productivity, a reduced management hierarchy, and reduced employee turnover o Apart from higher levels of productivity that occurred only within the first two years of implementing self-managing work teams, firms with these structures continued to improve upon the initial benefits of reduced employee
More Less
Unlock Document

Only half of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit