Philosophy (141)
PHL 201 (14)

PHL 201 week 10.docx

2 Pages
Unlock Document

Ryerson University
PHL 201
James Cunningham

PHL 201 week 10 (March 26 ) th TUESDAY - Free will J’Holbach Aristotle ETHICS - Involves morality, the issue of right and wrong - Values - The study of morality ; the study of the philosophical of the underpinning - Virtue and vice – what morality is about - What we have to do if we are going to be just, temperate, courageous, wise - Its what we have to do if we are going to be fully human - Or the types of things we have to do to be fully human - It’s a manner of how to treat other people - What do we owe those things that are not human? o Only owe o “I wouldn’t misuse a horse” o “I don’t flake a cat” – because to do so would be inhuman - not about what it does to the object or human, but what it does/shows about a person 3 ethic branches: Virtue ethics – Aristotle - How do you become a good person? – by developing a good character, how do you do that and why is it necessary? o Your character speaks to what you will do in the future o How do you develop?  Virtue vs. vice  Virtue – for the ancients  “an excuse to beat up on women”  Need for woman to keep her virtue – how do you keep your virtue?  by not having sex, by not doing something, absence of action  If you don’t keep your virtue, you are viewed as a bad person or “harlot”  Your character is now “easy”  Your virtue is beyond repair – therefore you are “damaged
More Less

Related notes for PHL 201

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.