Philosophy
Course
PHL 201
Professor
James Dianda
Semester
Winter

Description
A.J. AYER – “FREEDOM AND NECESSITY” With free will comes the assumption that I could have acted differently. Man  cannot be said to be responsible for actions in which he had no control over. But if causal  laws govern human behavior, how can any action be free? Many people think “I know  free will exists, I can feel it”. But this is hardly a convincing argument, if our wills are not  free, we would not know they are not free. All that is evident is that people feel  themselves acting freely. Furthermore, the determinist’s belief that all events have causes  is yet to be proven. There are many phenomenon which science has yet to explain causes  for, so it is equally likely to assume that not everything is caused.  In the case of human conduct, we are able to make predictions but not accurate  predictions. For example, we can predict a certain man will be mad, but not how loud he  will shout. As it stands now, psychology is still in its infancy, and it may eventually be  able to predict with 100% accuracy, the idea of complete explanation is theoretically  attainable. But suppose it is said that there is a limit, and that limit is human freedom.  Even if we are able to say that we sometimes know what man is saying, it does not follow  that we can or will eventually always know. A determinist would say, if we had more  knowledge, we could know. But until we have more knowledge, assuming that this fact is  true is invalid. It is equally likely that since no explanation is available, there IS not  explanation available, and that is because the agent was truly free. Now this may be true,  but it does not give the moralist what he wants, he wants to prove that man is free. But if  there is no causal explanation, then his actions are simply chance. Chance actions are  seen as lunacy, since they are baseless in their motives. But he doesn’t wish to imply it is  chance, he implies the actions are the result of free choice. But how did the agent come to  make that choice? Either it was an accident, or it had causes. Well what if my choice  depends on my character? I am responsible for my character. This ignores the external  factors effecting your character. But assuming there are no factors, how did you build this  character? Was it your strength of will? How did you have that strength and not some  other strength? Either it was an accident, and you are not responsible, or it was caused,  and you are not responsible. To say that my actions proceed from my character means my actions are  predictable. And since it is my actions (stemming from character) that I am held morally  responsible for, it seems that moral responsibility 
More Less

Related notes for PHL 201

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit