Philosophy
Course
PHL 214
Professor
Asher Alkoby
Semester
Summer

Description
CHAPTER 1IDENTIFYING ARGUMENTSAn argument an attempt to justify or prove a conclusiontries to make you believe something and gives you reasons to believe itConclusion what the argument is trying to make you believePremises the reasons it gives one or many implicit or explicit words or picturesShould answer the questions Is there an attempt to convince me of something and Are reasons given to convince meConclusion indicators thus before hence so it follows that shows that indicates that proves that thenPremise indicators since because for for the reason that on the grounds that follows fromHowever some arguments do not contain any some nonarguments do Propositions the content or meaning of a sentence Its important to isolate propositions to discover the structure of an argumentConclusions and evidence that supports them are always propositionsCan be simple or compound asserted or unasserted and be properly identified Simple PropositionsEG Wolves live in packs1Express a complete thought2Express only one complete though3Be able to be either true or falseCompound Propositions EG Wolves live in packs but polar bears dontTwo simple propositions compounded by butWatch out for ones that contain if and or If I dont have my eyes I cant ge
More Less

Related notes for PHL 214

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit